Chapter 40 • Cryptic

(17/06/2017)

A/N: Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. This book has reached 3.12K all because of you. I honestly wanted to stop this book but I feel as if though it would be so unfair to you guys. So I sucked it up and I wrote this chapter with a smile on my face. And hopefully, I'll finish this book with a smile on my face too!

• • •

MARNISE'S POV

What did I do?

Why did I?

Did I?

Who?

Different thoughts rushed through my brain as I remembered the incident that happened a few days ago in the chill room…

I remember pulling back from the kiss and I ran to my room. I went into the closet, closed the door and I sat there dumbfounded trying to process what happened: We kissed.

We weren't supposed to kiss at all, that's not what friends do! After that kiss, I started realising that Dylan made the first move by kissing me. It made me realise all the signs that I should have seen coming, but I was too blinded by life to open my eyes and see.

Out of all the four boys, he was with me the most.
He said that he wanted to figure me out.
He was always snuggled up with me.
He left the others to hang out with me most of the times.

I doubt that he saw the signs coming or what happened that day, was just an in the moment thing. It made sense, he finished dipping me and maybe it was the first thing that was on his mind. During the week, I've avoided Dylan because he was going to bring trouble.

I was at home, contemplating what to wear for the date that Jaden told me about. He told me to dress formally and that we were going to a fancy Italian restaurant that was located near the city. I decided earlier to bring Bailey over as a date because I refused to take Dylan; who asked to be his date during the course of the week.

I texted Bailey and I told him to not wear his formal clothing; I told him to wear casual clothing instead. I told him that because of a specific reason. He wasn't the only one showing up to a fine dining establishment in everyday clothes. I showered after I got back from school and I stood in front of the vast amount of clothing I had.

I could have worn an expensive outfit that could have made me look older than I am, but why would I want that?

I chose to wear light blue high waisted jeans, a shimmery black sweatshirt over a white long sleeve shirt and a pair of Adidas shoes. I combed my hair and I decided to tie it up and it made a poofy cloud at the top of my head. Sadly my was a bit shorter because earlier in the week, I went to the salon to get a trim to get rid of my split ends. For my face, I left it natural because I was too lazy to do anything to it.

I put on some perfume, looked at myself in the mirror once more and I smirked at my casual look. I strutted to the drawer next to my bed and I took out the phone my parents got for me. Earlier in the day, I took all my contacts from the BlackBerry and I entered them into the iPhone. I also put the screen protector of the phone just in case the phone slipped out of my fingers. I put the phone along with a very important piece of paper in my pocket.

I put my Blackberry in its house (under my pillow) and I walked downstairs. I checked the time and there were still a few more minutes before Bailey was supposed to arrive. I got my house keys, got out of the door and I locked the door. I looked up at the beautiful Californian night sky and I smiled to myself.