Chapter 24: The New Beta

Chapter 24

Joey's P.O.V

"The new Beta is....." I paused looking from Kale to Adam and smiled. As I opened my mouth to speak the name of my choice I spotted something coming from the forest. Henry, and he wasn't alone. Rogues. "Rogues!!" Voices shouted in panic. I raised my hand to silence them and the bodies froze. A growl left my lips, "Henry. How dare you show your face?" I walked away from the two males I had been about to choose from and walked towards the man I hated more than anything. "Do you have a death wish?"

Henry stood at the edge of the forest watching me with a smirk on his pale lips. He was taunting me and I knew it. "Oh you couldn't harm a hair on my head let alone kill me sweetheart." His voice was like nails on a chalkboard to my ears. I hated him so much. Anger raged through me and the wind started to pick up and lightning crackled in the sky. He was pushing me right to the edge and he knew it. "You and your rogues are no match for my warriors. We outnumber you easily 6 to 1." I was only 10 feet from him now. I stood alone with my pack a few yards behind me.

Grinning he stepped forward and the rogues did as well showing more of them that had been hiding farther back in the forest. His numbers matched ours including our children and elders. Mindlinking Anna, one of our pack nursery nurses, I told her to gather the children and elders and take them into the pack house and down into the cellar safe room now. I didn't look back to see if my orders were followed I decided to keep Henry and the rogues distracted long enough to get the defenseless out. "So Mr. I-Think-I'm-All-That what do you want?" I continued to growl at him but started walking back and forth in front of them to keep them distracted from the movement 30 yards behind me.

His dark chuckle sent shivers down my spine. "I want what I've always wanted. You." The rogues launched themselves forward towards my pack. I snarled and raced forward at Henry through the rushing force of his rogues. Shifting midleap I tackled him to the ground. He was already in his other form. He was waiting for this. He wanted this. He wanted me to attack. My teeth latched onto his shoulder and tore through the fur and flesh easily. Not even a yelp left his muzzle. It was like he couldn't feel the pain or blood oozing from the fresh wound. A sharp pain came from my left flank. One of his rogues was trying to yank me off. Releasing Henry I whipped around and quickly snapped the neck of the rogue. Henry had just stood watching me with an evil glint in his eye. I hated this man more than anything. He just watched me kill one of his and he didn't even care. Watching him for a moment I walked closer and circled him. He didn't even flinch. It was like he didn't care. The only thing he seemed to care about was having me.

"What did you promise them so they would fight here today?"

"Your land."

I glared at him and bared my teeth still circling him. "You know we would fight until our death for our land. It was all a lie so you could come for me." Once I was behind him again I leaped raking my claws into his back. "I will kill you." Sinking my teeth into his spinal cord snapping it. His body fell limp into a pile of fur. I dug into his motionless body and ripped out his heart. "Well that's one less heartless bastard in this world." Distracted by my kill I didn't notice the rogue lurking behind me. Well I suppose I did notice him but I didn't really care too much. I figured he was fighting alongside the others. I was wrong. And I realized that the moment his claws sank into my back and he tried to repeat the move I just did on Henry but I recognized it too quickly and ripped free and ended up shredding my back in the process. A loud yelp left my lips as I slumped to the ground with a thud. Blood was pouring from my pounding, stinging wound. Red. Red. Everywhere. Everything. Red. Looking up at the rogue, as it slinked closer it's yellow fangs bared, I prayed to the Goddess for a miracle. It was too late. The rogue's jaws were already tightening around my neck. I didn't struggle because I knew it would just hurt more. Closing my eyes I gave in. I was ready to see my family again. Suddenly I felt the jaws yanked from my throat and I gasped my eyes fluttering open. A soft gentle tongue rasped itself over the blood matted fur on my face. Grant. It was Grant. He had fought through them to save me. Smiling on the inside I closed my eyes and a single tear slid down my cheek. 'He does love me.' I let out a breath then everything went black. All I could hear was Grant's grief stricken howl echoing in my mind.