Chapter 23: Beta Challenge

Chapter 23:

Joey' s P.O.V

The whirring noise of the blow dryer blew in my ears as I dried my hair. I was completely livid. I couldn't believe he had done that and then just left. Huffing I set the hair dryer down and glared at my reflection and took a deep breath. I needed to calm down in less then 10 minutes I would have to be standing in front of a bunch of challengers who think they are good enough for the role of my Beta. Running a hand through my golden hair I took  a deep breath closing my eyes. "Let's show them who's boss Joey."

Standing in front of at least 20 challengers, both male and female, my eyes drifted over each face. I've known all of them for years. Not a single one surprised me. My eyes landed on my mate and I pretended he wasn't there. This would be a fair challenge. No favorites. Especially not for him. As I walked towards them they fell to their knees in the grass as My voice rang out across the field. "Today I will test each of you on your strengths and weaknesses. Each of you will be pushed to the limit to see if you will break under pressure. By kneeling here today you have given yourself to this challenge. You still have the option to back out now and no one will think badly of you." I paused and when no one moved and judges watched me with determination a smile fell upon my lips. "Very well. Being my Beta isn't just a title it is a responsibility that you must earn. It is a great honor. But it also comes with sacrifices. Your loyalty is to me first. No one else. Some of you have your mates already," My eyes landed on mine and then I continued. "So I understand how you will feel like you may be betraying them. This is not the case. I would never put you in the position where you had to choose me over your mate, but I expect that my orders are to be followed understood?"

"Yes Luna." They all spoke confidently in unison.

"Good." Walking in front of the first challenger I bent down and sunk my claws into her shoulder and kissed her forehead. "Welcome to the Beta Challenge." I whispered in her ear. She never flinched and only spoke when I pulled my claws out. "Thank you my Luna." This ritual was repeated with the remaining candidates and when the last one spoke I stood and called loud enough for the whole the pack to hear as they stood watch, "Let the Beta Challenge begin!" Cheers erupted from the crowd and the challengers stood and walked to their tents and shifted. The first challenge would be strength. each competitor would face an opponent of my choosing. Since there was an even number this worked out for now. After the first challenge two would be eliminated until only there were only four left. Then it was up to me.

"Mila and Daisy. Mika and Donald. Ronnie and Roman. Grant and James. Jane and Julie. Kale and Michael. Jackson and Mack. Max and Mark. Adam and Sean. Connie and Connor. Those are your opponents when I sound the horn you will begin. There will be three rounds. Let's begin." Walking over to my chair I climbed up so I could have an over view of the fighting. "Any questions?" Silence filled the field besides the sound of birds calling from the forest. "Good. Begin." I pressed the button on the horn and it rang loudly. A few flinched but I kept my composure as I watched Mila, Roman, Connie, and Sean leap first. I wrote notes on my clipboard without looking away from the fighting. I had to be ready to stop them if necessary. Mila and Daisy were the first pair finished. Mila was victorious. Next was Grant and James. Grant was victorious. Within 20 minutes the fighting was over and Adam, Max, Jackson, Kale, Jane, Mika, Connie, and Ronnie were victorious as well.

"Round Two. Those of you who were victorious in round one please go to the left. The other please go to the right. The new opponents are as followed. Mila and Grant. Mika and Adam. Max and Connie. Jane and Kale. Jackson and Ronnie. For the others the opponents are Daisy and Julie. Roman and Sean. Michael and Mack. Donald and James. Connor and Mark. Face your opponents and remember being a Beta doesn't mean you are the strongest. A Beta isn't the first to leap into a battle. Begin." Holding the horn farther away this time I pushed the button and the fighting began.