28

Bold - Blake
Italics - Sophie
***
"So, where do I start?"

"I guess, from the very beginning would be a good start."

"Okay."

"..."

"When I was seven years old, I lost my parents in a car accident. It was Christmas Eve. We were going to Uncle Sam's house - I mean Dr. Ford's house. I was telling my mom about the card I made for my cousin when out of nowhere a overspeeding truck collided with our car, head on."

".."

"I woke up after 3 days to find out that my mom passed away before reaching the hospital. But my dad, he fought for 10 days until his body couldn't take it anymore and he gave up."

"..."

"Dr. Ford told me that I lost a whole lot of blood in the accident and without blood transfusion, I wouldn't have survived either. Lucky me, my blood group was A negative. Fortunately, a man with the same blood group was there and he offered to donate his blood and I was saved."

"I'm really sorry, Soph that you had to go through that at such a small age."

"After that, Dr. Ford took me in and everything was fine. I have accepted the reality. But last year, I fell very sick. I thought it was just some flu but when my condition kept on worsening, tests were run."

"Soph, I think this much is enough for today. You should take some rest now. I am feeling awful for making you live those memories. Please, let's just -"

"No, I'm alright. Let me finish telling you all this, otherwise I don't think I would be able to gather the courage again."

"Soph -"

"So, when the results came, it was definitely not what I expected."

"..."

"I couldn't believe what I heard. I refused to believe it because there was no way it could've been possible. I was a virgin! How was that even possible?"

"..."

"But no matter how much I denied, the reality didn't change. And turns out, the life saving blood transfusion given to me years ago extended my life by a few years only to kill me in the end."

"What are you trying to say, Soph?"

"Last year, I was diagnosed with AIDS."

***
Just a little advice, if you're one of those people who see AIDS as a taboo then please stop reading this book.