42

Blake,

Hey! I hope you're doing well, my friend. And I hope that your life is coming back on track, too. I'm writing this letter, just in case we never get to meet again. I've been feeling way more sick lately and I feel like my body is giving up on me. I don't even know if you're even able to read my handwriting but okay. I'm going to give this letter to Dr. Ford tomorrow so he'd be able to give this to you if we never meet again. So, yeah, if you get this letter then you're never going to have the pleasure to be my heavenly presence again.

Anyways, I hope that you've learnt that taking my advice is always the right thing to do. Congratulations, buddy, Tessa got to see the world again! Yay!! How do I know it? Because I am awesome like that. And before you start getting any ideas, no, I didn't donate my eyes to Tessa.

I actually wanted to but because of my disease, I can't donate any organ. The soul who donated her eyes to Tessa was Iris, actually. That lady donated her whole body so that people can get to live their life, a little more and happily. I told you that she was the kindest woman I've ever met.

She passed away this evening and I'm a sobbing mess right now, that's why you might find a few blotchy patches on this letter.

Now, I've got to tell you some things. I'm writing these on a letter because I never would've found the guts to say it face to face and it's better this way.

First, you are the most amazing person I've ever had the chance to know and be with. You made my syndrome much more bearable, honestly. Tessa is really lucky to have you but don't let this get to your head, okay?
You were one of the very few who treated me like a human and didn't look at me like I was dirt.

And second, somewhere along the pointless banter and wheelchair races..Gosh, I don't know how to say it..okay let's just get this over with. I don't know how or why but at some moment, I fell for you.

There, I said it.

But there was no way I would've told you that when I was alive because I never wanted you to be stuck with me when I knew you'd end up getting hurt in the end because I knew that my fate was sealed and there was no changing it. And also, I saw the look in your eyes when you'd talk about Tessa. It alone told me how much you loved her and I envied it at first but later on, I accepted the fact that you'll never be mine and I was happy to just be in your life, even if only as a friend. I didn't want to endanger our friendship and make things awkward between us by telling you about my feelings.

Now, since that is out of the way, I've got a big request - more like a big demand - and you have to do as I say. My demand is if you ever have a daughter, you'll have to name her after me, okay? I just want to be a part of your life even when I'm not there.

That's all, I guess.

So, when you get around eighty years old and decide that it's your time to come to me, even then I'll be waiting in heaven - nah, we're not innocent enough to go to heaven - I'll be waiting for you in hell sitting on my wheelchair with another empty one for you by my side. And when you get there, you bet I'll beat your old ass in wheelchair racing, even then.

Stay happy, Blake, for me.

Love,

Sophie.

By the end of the letter, tears were running down his face and he was sobbing. Desperate to see Sophie one last time, he turned on his heel and dashed down the corridor in search of Dr. Ford.

When he reached outside the hospital, he finally saw her. Lying on a stretcher with her eyes closed, she looked peaceful, contrary to what Sophie was. Two nurses were taking her inside an ambulance. Blake wiped his eyes and caught one last look of Sophie before she disappeared inside the ambulance.

Unable be take it any more, he collapsed on the hospital floor and cried for his loss.

He cried for losing his best friend.

He cried for losing the girl who loved him.

***
And, that's all. Thank you so much for reading this story till here. If you have the time then please vote and send your feedback through comments.
I'll see you at the next story when I write it, hopefully.

-Kriti