5: Recreating Memories

Chapter Five

"Please tell me I wasn't out of my mind leaving Damon in charge of Vampire Amnesia 101," I sighed over the phone. I called Bonnie and she has me on speaker so I could talk to both of my roommates.

"Well, why did you?" Bonnie asked.

"Because I couldn't handle the love of my life not remembering me. He had this blank look cause I was a stranger in his eyes. I had to sleep ALONE. Not to mention I had to take a guest room because I didn't know how to explain, we shared a bed, which he clearly didn't want to do with me. And I got no sleep. When I woke up this morning Damon and I agreed he'd handle it," I sighed. "But now I'm not so sure if he is or not from his vague text message."

"What did he say exactly?" Caroline asked.

"One text: so far, so good. Which, in Damon speak..." I trailed off. It could mean anything! Literally good or bad.

"Means that they probably devoured a troop of Girls Scouts by now," Caroline said and I closed my eyes.

"Caroline!" Bonnie yelled at her.

"I'm kidding... kind of. Although it's not uncommon for patients with retrograde amnesia or other traumatic brain injuries to turn volatile," Caroline suddenly said.

"Okay, Dr. Forbes. Since when do you know so much about amnesia?" I asked, frowning. Maybe I'd have to time to study if I wasn't going through the fact my fiancé has it!

It's possible I studied up on my chem, biochem, applied microbio, molecular bio, and Grey's Anatomy--the real one and the television show."

"You did all that for Stefan?" I questioned. Half in disbelief and half in shock.

"Of course I did. I'm also trying to impress Dr. Maxfield. I figured if I could get closer to him, i.e. into his biology class, maybe I could figure out why he covered up our roommate's murder by vampire, and it's also possible that I have a study buddy," Caroline ranted. "Now I have to go study with Jesse. Text me, Kenz. Bye Bon."

"Jesse? Dr. Maxfield's incredibly hot, funny, and miraculously single lab assistant?" I questioned.

"I'm dragging him to our hometown graveyard bell-ringing ceremony," Care answered me.

"As in creepy first date?" Bonnie scoffed and I snickered.

"As in a study date. While I'm there, I might as well ring a bell for Tyler and me considering our relationship is on its death bed," Caroline sighed. "I really have to go. But will I see you there, Kenzie? You can bring Stefan. I mean, it is ironically called Remembrance Day."

"I hope so, I really do. It just depends on how Stefan's handling the whole download of his dark and stormy past. Damon's got him reading his journals," I said.

"All right. Well, I'll talk to you both later," she said.

"Bye," Bonnie and I choruses.

"What should I do?" I whined.

"Checking on Stefan would be a great idea," she told me.

"You're right. I gotta go find him then. Bye," I said.

"Keep me updated."

"I will."

"Okay, bye."

***

I walked into the Grill rolling my eyes as someone rang the large bell. This whole day was bullshit. Apparently way back when people were getting sick and seemed deadly and our great townsmen buried them a little to early.