7: Free Of Silas

Chapter Seven

"You look like a woman on her way to the guillotine," a voice came as I was exiting the large building.

I wiped my eyes, taking a deep breath before turning to see Dr. Maxfield. "She was beheaded with a sword," I corrected, tone empty and eyes bored as I looked at him.

"See? And that's why I teach Bio."

"And you are? Abe Lincoln?"

"Dr. Jekyll," he answered and I snorted.

Yeah. Whatever. "So where's Mr. Hyde?" I asked him.

"I don't know. I'm not responsible for my darker half."

"Mmm. Goodnight, Wes," I sighed no longer wanting to drag out this bullshit with this douche bag.

"Oh, you're leaving. I can't even have a dance with a queen?"

"Sounds highly inappropriate seeing as I'm a student," I declined.

He scoffed and held out his hand, "You're not, nor will you ever be, one of my students."

"I won't dance with you, Wes. Say what you need to say. And leave me the hell alone, yeah?" I smiled bitterly and his brows raised.

He snatched my hand from my side and pulled me to him. He forced us into a dancing position and I heaved a sigh. It was just not my night. "I see you're very hostile tonight. Fiancé and you call off the wedding?" He smirked.

"You're very demanding tonight, someone deny you from lying on a death certificate?" I quipped in the same mocking tone.

"Look. I didn't want to lie, but I couldn't exactly tell her parents a mountain lion attacked her at a frat party. I'd be fired. Want to know my theory?" He asked me.

"What's that?" I asked, bored already.

"I think a vampire hunted her down, ripped her throat out, and threw her off that roof."

"What do you know about vampires?" I questioned him, more interested in the conversation now that he wasn't playing oblivious nice guy.

"Doesn't matter what I know, Kenzie, because we're never gonna see each other again."

"And why is that?" I snarled.

He tugged me close, his hands gripping my hips to keep me in place not that I couldn't easily break his hands. His mouth pressed to my ear and in the most passive aggressive tone I've ever heard, he threatened me, "Because there are people at this school watching you and your friends and asking questions you don't want them to ask. So pack your things, drop out, and move back to Mystic Falls."

I placed my hands over his and shoved them roughly from off my body. "Not only am I a taken woman, I am a student. And like it or not I'm one of yours. So keep your hands to yourself, Wes and save your petty threats, because I've had it up to here," I paused to raise my hand to the side above my head. "With men trying to push me around. And control my life."

"Maybe you're just stubborn."

"Two years ago, I let people talk for me. Let society turn me into a shell of who I know I was meant to be. But I am so proud of who I am now. Not only am I stubborn, but I'm dangerous. So I'd watch your mouth, Wes. Because I am so far gone from being rational or scared of you or anyone," I stated.