17: Parent, Teacher Conference

Chapter Seventeen

"Morning, sunshine," Stefan chuckled as I rolled over onto my side to face him.

"Hi," I yawned, sitting up. "My back is sore."

"That's what happens when you have sex in an old train stop junkyard."

"You didn't say no."

He smirked, "cause I wanted you. Desperately."

I giggled, pecking his lips. "You want to tell me what's going on here? Why I can't take you home now to have my way with you all day long?"

"Well, we're here with the travelers. They had the antidote for you and Damon. Remember when they took our blood? Well, it didn't work because you and I aren't the last doppelgängers. The girl calling the shots, her name is Sloan, and she says there's another me out there."

"What?" I frowned, sitting up a bit and cuddling closer to him.

"Yeah. His name is Tom Avery. Caroline and Enzo are headed to Atlanta to find and kill him."

"Your life is in the hands of those two?" I asked, jaw nearly dropping in disbelief.

"I don't think Caroline can do it."

"Kill someone with your face? She has to. It's him or you, right?"

"Right."

"Then she doesn't have a choice. She kills him or I kill her before I kill him. Those are the only options."

"Kenzie, calm down," he scolded.

"No. Your life is on the line."

"I know, but..."

"But what? Are you ready to die?"

"No. I am looking forward to a life with you. But I do worry that Caroline can't do this."

"Why?" I frowned.

"She can't kill an innocent."

"And I can?"

"I didn't say that. Why are you comparing?"

"I'd kill him, Stefan. Without hesitation. I should be there. Not her. You're my man. That's what we're fighting for. Why the hell would you let someone you don't have faith in go try to save your life?"

"I didn't have much of a choice. I couldn't go myself. Besides, Enzo is with her."

"And Enzo is what?"

"Damon's friend. Someone who can kill in cold blood. He'll do it. The travelers are holding something over his head. He'll do what they say."

"Good. Because you dying is not an option."

"You need to calm down," he said.

"I don't need to do anything," I retorted and he raised a brow at me. Before I could force myself to apologize and kiss this situation all better, an alarm started going off. Stefan pulled his phone out before showing it to me. I read the words on the screen, "Jeremy's parent teacher conference."

"I forgot," he said.

"It's in two hours. I really wanted to be there. I told Elena I would go with her."

"You need to go then."

"And leave you? No way."

"I'll be fine here. Okay? Go. It's your brother."

"And you're my fiancé. I'm staying here. And that's final, Stefan. Let me make my own decisions."

"I'm not trying to tell you what to do. Stop taking that tone with me, Kenzie."