The Faceless Man

Nobody saw him for who he was behind the beautiful mask made of glass.
Nobody noticed the thunderclouds that never failed in following him around.
Whether at night or during the day, the monsters always came out to play.
They took the flawlessly painted smile as a sign of bright tomorrows, but didn't see the agony that clutched the brush.
Silence kept him safe where words would bring violent hate that threatened the calm blanket of security that kept life straight.
The boy kept moving day to day, but then it all just slipped away.
Truth or faked, the nurses came with concern swimming within their gaze.
Doctors fought through educated thoughts, but they did not know the secrets the boy contained.
Too young to feel guilt, too troubled to imagine a better future, all the child wanted was an escape from society's suture.
Before regret could dissuade, he paid a visit to the man that always sat with folded hands.
The boy did not expect this, but did not care how he ended up standing there.
The man that waited for the boy to come along was exceptionally odd.
With no face to recognize, was this God in disguise?
He was not mean or unkind, actually seeming like a pretty nice guy, but never moving or uttering a single line.
The room where the faceless man spent most of his time was large and bare with grey everywhere.
There were walls, ceiling, and floor, but there appeared to be no door.

“Who are you?" he asked, but the man did not answer and remained an emotionless cast.
The man bowed his head and tipped his lovely brown hat instead, a chilling gesture that could probably disturb the dead.
Despite the confusion, the boy accepted no conclusion.
He could not recall the events that led up to this point, but he did remember the decision of an uncomfortable incision.
Not knowing what else to say, the boy peered up at the man in his way who just simply continued to stare.
The boy wished to be missed, but knew that no care was waiting for him back there.
He peered up at the man and offered a slender little hand.

“Will you play with me…?" he asked in a very low and unsure tone.
The man cocked his head, so he asked again just in case the man did not understand.

“Will you please play with me…?"

The man seemed to comprehend, but shook his head, leaving an explanation involuntarily unsaid.

“I don't know why I'm here. Can you tell me?" he asked softly, hoping the man did not disappear.

Without a word, the man stood tall and proud, making the boy instinctively step back and frown.
The man slowly offered his hat, thankfully treating him more than an unwelcomed brat.

Deciding to play along, he took the hat and clutched it tightly to his chest.
That was when he swore he heard his mother scream his name, the words finding their way inside his brain.
He turned to return, but found no exit, peering back a little desperate and found the man had outstretched his hand.
The boy's heart fluttered and strangely ached, but he soon accepted the handshake.
A sudden wave of ice engulfed the child, but he felt satisfied after a while.
Father despised him and Mother was a fake, which ultimately led the boy to his fate.
Without family or friends attached to life, the boy forgot all about his left behind strife.
Unable to know what was in store, the man led the child through the door that had not been there before.
Off they went, the boy clutching the hat close to his heart that failed to restart.

The faceless man led him along and soon enough the little boy was gone.