chapter 18 - living large

Well, the nurse finally came, and requested your help. Knowing seen Nathan a couple times, having company to distract him usually made it much easier. Ever since you two had left the room and gone to the nurses office, his head had been bowed down. It was at the point where you were leading him. From what you could see from his expression, it looked like shame. It was understandable as some scattered students whispered and pointed as he walked by.

Sitting him on the bed in the office, the nurse had left you two alone to get more supplies. "It hasn't been decided yet." He murmured, his thumbs entwining with eachother, "Of what's going to happen to me." He turns to face you slightly, a mixture of anger and fear in his eyes, voice croaking in a soft rasp.

"It'll be okay Nathan, I promise, you own this school." You smile, he only looks away, but it looked as though he was hiding a smirk.

"How's your cheek going?" He asked, "I'm gonna kill that bitch for doing that." You place a hand to his shoulder, "There's no need for that, it's obvious she's upset about everything, I am too." You shrug, "I totally deserved it. I feel like I shouldn't give up on Olivia or Rachel, but it just doesn't feel right, why have false hopes?" You sigh.
He sighs too, "Life is....fucked." He murmurs.
"Sure is."

After the nurse dismissed the both of you, you had an itching idea in the back of your had ever since shit went down. "Nate, let's go have some fun." You say, digging him in the arm gently. He snorts, "Got no condoms on me. He shrugs. "Not like that." You blush, pushing him away, he just chuckled. At least he was back to normal.

"Let's get out of here..."

You had both been walking for a couple minutes, and you have reached the Two Whales Diner. You always liked the outside of it, it was right near the beach. The storm was just settling and the clouds were a brilliant purple, the sun beginning to show itself through the clouds. Although the sun was bright, there was still a chill in the air. "Hungry?" you ask, he shakes his head. "Too much shit happening, my appetite is fucked." you nod, "Understandable."

Suddenly, you hear a noise, a shopping cart rolling slowly down the road in the soft wind. You had an idea. Quickly running after it, you notice Nathan's confused look as you retrieve it, wheeling it back. "Want a ride?" you wink at him, he raises an eyebrow with slight amusement in his face. He was hesitant, but he slowly made his way over to you, picking himself up onto the cart and sitting inside, hugging his knees. "You're gonna pay for this." He murmurs, his face red with embarrassment. "Chill, Prescott, it'll be fun."

The rolling of the wheels on the pavement felt satisfying, the slight shaking was still smooth and watching the beach roll by was calming. You watch as Nathan examined the beach, watching it go back with a peaceful expression. "Now all you need is a lullaby and a blanket." you say softly, a wide smile on your expression. Nathan suddenly looks over and scoffs, "Shut up, bitch." he rolls his eyes. His sudden embarrassed expression turned to a mischievous grin, "Your turn." He leans up to where you were holding and resting his head on his hands. You roll your eyes, "Okay, Okay..."

Getting out of the cart carefully, Nathan suddenly picks you up and places you in. "Ready to roll?" He raises an eyebrow, smirk on his face. You were quite nervous. "You haven't been drinking, right?" you say jokingly, he rolls his eyes, "Maybe." Surprisingly, he started pushing quite slow. By this point you were in foetal position just waiting for the sudden burst of speed. He laughed, you'd never heard him laugh like that. "Seriously Y/N?" He snickers, "Chill out a bit, girlie."

You sigh and giggle nervously, bringing your body up slowly, doing the same he did before, hugging your knees awkwardly, facing him, doe-like eyes on the boy pushing the trolley. You both watched each other for over a minute, it was as though the world around you had stopped turning. Looking out to the beach, you could hear the waves whispering calmly over the sand, the wind smooth and cold but it just made you smile.
"Today's been weird, huh?" You mutter, smiling to yourself, unable to make eye contact.

"Y-Yeah, whatever."

There was a silence between the two of you but it was obvious you were both thinking of the same thing. It was an awkward predicament, but a good type of awkward, that made you smile and the feeling of butterflies had never felt good until now. Suddenly, the speed picked up and Nathan's awkward expression turned to someone of mischievous bliss. You squealed and grabbed hold on the sides of the cart, laughing like you'd never laughed before. It felt amazing. Although it was a cheesy thought, it was you two against the world, causing mischief on a cold afternoon, flipping off pedestrians as you passed by.

You never wanted it to end.