The Trip Home (Chpater 10)

Hey guys! Hers another late night update. Hope you guys enjoy!

-----

Soon, Lance could touch the bottom and keep his head above the slightly rocking waves.

Normally, Keith and the mer wouldn't venture that close to the shore, but the waning crescent moon was already high in the sky, casting little light onto the almost black looking water.

"You better come back in the morning. There's no telling when the Galra might attack again," Keith threatened.

"Yeah, yeah," Lance teased back. "Just try not to get harpooned again while I'm gone."

Keith's eyes narrowed, but the slightest smile may have appeared on his lips. Lance may have imagined it, before the pale teen sped away, leaving a stream of bubbles behind him.

Keith had almost forgotten how to smile. It had been so long since his life was peaceful. But there was no way he'd let the cocky human see it.

He didn't know how to feel about the stupid Oceania. He was a moron, with no sense of responsibility or maturity...

Yet, he was almost always grinning, and when he needed to be serious, he got the job done. It was obvious to Keith how much of a light Lance had become in the darkened waters. Lance was becoming a beacon of hope for all mer worldwide.

And to think all this started because I kidnapped him... Keith chuckled to himself before he stopped and watched Lance's feet leave the water.

Keith would never admit it, no matter how you asked, but he actually hoped Lance would be back. It was entertaining to argue with the human and watch him get flustered when he knew Keith was right.

"Keep your promise, Oceania," Keith muttered aloud. "Or I'll make you regret it."

--

The defeated commander sauntered into Zarkon's throne room after shortly returning to the command center empty handed. He was very fearful of the Emperor and what he would say; all the Galra were.

Two sentries led Sendak in, who saluted a few feet from the dais. On the dais sat the Emperor, and the High Druid, Haggar, stood next to him, but slightly behind the throne.

"Why do you come to me empty handed?" Zarkon demanded, deep and dark voice growling with anger.

"M--My apologies, Emperor," Sendak apologized. "The Arusian convoy was on schedule but was suddenly attacked by the Voltron tribe. We were caught off guard--"

"Your men say there was only two Voltron mer, the Red and Black Paladins. The fact that you lost to two fighters isn't being caught unprepared," Zarkon snarled, slamming his fist on the right arm of his throne, cracking it slightly. "It is weakness, and something I cannot let stand. Weakness is a disease. It is better to kill off the disease, than let it spread."

The sentries grabbed Sendak's arms, ready to haul him away for Haggar to use in one of her twisted experiments.

"Take him away," Zarkon ordered. Sendak desperately thrashed and writhed as he was dragged to the door.

"Wait! My men were wrong! There was a third one! He wasn't a mer!" Sendak exclaimed, the human returning to his memory. The one the Red Paladin had stared at.

The sentries stopped and released him at Zarkon's signal. "Explain."

"There was a third one, he was hidden for the majority of the fight. When my men had surrounded the Paladins, the third had leapt out, throwing his hands out," Sendak explained. "Then one of my men's harpoon spears, that was aimed at the Red Paladin's heart and shot true to its mark..."

"Go on," Zarkon commanded.

"The harpoon suddenly stopped inches from the Paladin's chest, and sank harmlessly to the sand. It was as if the water prevented the harpoon from touching the Voltron mer's chest. The Red Paladin had stared at him, and that's how I spotted the non-mer, and his... his legs."

"Sire, surely you don't think...?" Haggar murmured quietly. "After centuries without one--?"

"Impossible, they went extinct, and one amongst humans? That's unprecedented," Zarkon muttered back, considering Sendak's appalling information.

After Zarkon worked so hard to build and control his men and servants, he wasn't going to lose to the Voltron and an Oceania. An Oceania would prove to be a serious threat to Zarkon's Empire if it wasn't in their possession.

Zarkon wanted it.

"Commander Sendak, I want you to find this 'non-mer', and bring him to me, alive. If something happens to him or your claims are proven false, then you'll both meet the same fate."

"O--Of course," Sendak replied with a salute, grateful to have his life for a little while longer. "I fight in the name of Galra. Vrepit sa!"

The commander and sentries quickly left the Emperor and High Druid alone.

"An Oceania, amongst humans--"

"It won't happen Haggar," Zarkon muttered. "One way or another, I will have this new being, and I will rule all the oceans and soon, the lands as well," Zarkon muttered certainly.

Oceania or no, Zarkon was too powerful. Voltron wouldn't stand against him for long. Who could challenge him now?