A New Plan (Chapter 16)

Sorry this is short, but the next part is cute, MAYBE slightly fluffy depending on how you look at it, and much longer, so please be patient! Will probably post the longer part later tonight. Thanks for reading, feel free to comment, and hope you enjoy!

-----

Sunlight blinded Keith through the cave entrance. Despite the cool morning water, something beside him kept him warm...

Keith groggily turned his head, and saw Lance nuzzled up beside him, Keith's arm draped over the boy. His instincts immediately kicked in, and he shoved Lance away and was upright in less than a second.

The rough awakening had startled Lance to his feet too, wide-eyes and dazedly awake.

"What...? What the Hell, Keith..." Lance muttered with a yawn.

"S--Sorry," Keith muttered. "I--uh, I thought I heard something." Keith knew he was a horrible liar. He just didn't want to admit to himself the feelings his heart had when he saw Lance so peaceful beside him.

"Uh-huh," Lance muttered sarcastically. "Suuuure."

"Anyway, we should keep moving. With Voltron fallen, we need a better place to lay low and contact possible allies. Galra are probably searching for you," Keith explained, dagger in hand, as he peaked out of the entrance and gazed across their surroundings.

"Keith, where can we go in the waters where Galra can't get us? Voltron was one of the most powerful tribes in the waters," Lance argued.

He hated talking as if Voltron was lost for good, but at the moment, that very well seemed to be reality. Lance wasn't a leader, nor was he very skilled with his powers.

He wasn't ready to lead an alliance against Zarkon and the Galra, nor did they have allies to lead. Things were looking rather bleak for the two.

Lance's watch buzzed, and he saw the message from Pidge:

What's up? Any plan?

Disappointedly, Lance punched in the two letters that summed up the entire situation perfectly: No...

Except, Lance was getting an idea, one he knew Keith wouldn't like. He couldn't see any alternatives though.

"Maybe we can't hide in the waters," Lance started. Keith turned to hear him better. "But we don't have to."

"If we won't hide in water, where will we...?" Keith countered as he slowly realized Lance's crazy plan. No it wasn't even a full plan. Maybe a possible idea. A crazy, dangerous, idiotic idea. But a possible one.

"No, no, no," Keith argued stubbornly. If they weren't careful, it could get Keith killed, or he'd end up killing Lance. Either way, it was almost suicidal.

"That could get me killed. I could end up like your friends and be trapped on Altea forever. Besides, the sudden submersion after recovering from a withdrawal of any length of time takes hours or sometimes days to recover from--"

"I don't hear any other ideas from you, Mullethead," Lance sneered cockily. "I don't know what else to do otherwise."

Keith hated it, but Lance did have a point.

"Fine," Keith sighed with a growl.

His demeanor lightened slightly when Lance beamed happily. "Great!" Lance cheered. "Now you can meet Pidge and Hunk in person!"