Voltron Destroyed (Chapter 13)

OMG such a scary title (may change it later). Sorry this is a little late, I ran out of pre-written material and I'm now having to write it as I go, not mentioning riding a friend's horses the past few days and trying to finish a summer course before school starts, so yeah. 

I also put up a general message that should've notified my followers, but if it didn't (I'm still figuring Wattpad out), I'll get it out there. It's just a list of more Voltron ideas I might try, so would love ideas/comments!Now that the rant is over: thanks for reading, hope you enjoy, and I would love comments, light critiques, and ideas!

-----

The kingdom wasn't just battle-worn, however. Keith could tell from the plumes of smoke and distant shouts of his tribesmen.

"Keith--?" Lance prompted before the mer snatched his arm and streamed through the water.

N--No, it can't be! I was gone for one night!

They reached the top of a hill that overlooked the tribe, and all Lance could do was gasp.

Galra soldiers filled the streets, and everything was demolished. The barracks and stables destroyed. The citizens' homes obliterated, the citizens gone. The library was littered with shredded remains of scrolls, and scraps of broken up driftwood that had formed the shelves and furniture.

The Galra had completely smashed the stables and were lassoing the loose hippocampi to use for their own. Lance watched in horror as the blue one he had ridden before was hauled off, though it and the four others fought strong.

Keith watched as his home was destroyed; the town, the culture, the palace...

The palace! Shiro, Allura, and Coran, they were still there when Keith had gone.

"Let's go get them," Lance stated firmly, somehow reading the red mer's mind. The waters swirled around Lance and above them on the surface vigorously.

Keith put a hand on Lance's shoulder and calmed him down. "I hate to sound like this, but maybe we shouldn't."

"What are you saying? We can't just leave them!"

"I'm not saying we should, but what if they escaped? What if they were taken to Galra command? We can't save them, I have to protect you. I'm thinking of the greater good here--"

"You're not thinking of the greater good," Lance snapped angrily. "You're only thinking of yourself, as usual." Lance began towards the castle, and Keith watched him go a few steps.

Keith sighed to himself, before swimming after the stubborn Oceania. Kind of stubborn... like me...

"Wait," Keith sighed. "We can't just burst in the front. I know a secret passage."

Lance gave him a smile and followed the mer to the base of the palace. Keith moved a few moss covered stones, revealing a dingy, old passageway.

The two proceeded into the darkness in silence.

"Allura and Shiro are fine," Keith muttered, finally breaking the awkward silence when he noticed Lance's distant and dazed look, the bright ocean colored eyes clouded over.

"I'm sure they are," Lance replied quietly.

"Then what are you thinking about?" Keith asked, concern filling his voice.

What was Lance thinking about? Was it Pidge and Hunk? No. Was it the Galra? No. It wasn't even Allura and Shiro, who were obviously into each other.

Despite how bad their situation was, only one thing filled Lance's mind at the moment. The mer he was currently stuck with, who could irritate the hell out of Lance at times, but who had also saved him in more ways than one...

Keith.

Everytime Lance looked at him, he couldn't help but feel as if everything would work out, that Keith would protect him and everyone like he continuously strived to do.

"Oh, I was just wondering, were you waiting for me all last night?" It wasn't a total lie, and after he said it, Lance really grew curious.

Keith's pale skin reddened slightly, but it was hard for Lance to see it in the dim light except for an occasional luminescent fish or coral branch.

"Y--Yeah, I well, I didn't know how long you would be... no humans were near the surface so I dozed off for a bit and woke before sunrise and..."

Lance's laugh cut Keith's rant short. They continued on a few more minutes in silence, before arriving at a heavy wooden door, covered in muck and grime like it was taken from a sunken ship.

With a quick nudge, the door gave way and silently opened. Lance and Keith swam in slowly and quietly, eyes scanning their surroundings for any Galra.

Strangely, there were few sentries. They darted from column to column, corridor to corridor, and still, weren't spotted.

No alarms, no shouts on intruders, nothing. It was really weird, and put Keith on edge as he silently pulled his knife out.

He swam up to the doors leading to the command center, Lance following a few seconds after.

They both pressed an ear to the wood, hearing a few whispers on the other side. Before they could move, the doors opened and hands reached out and pulled the two teens in before the doors swallowed them up with a loud slam.