fourteen | A C I S S M U S

Shivering at the change in temperature, _____ could only watch as precipitation touched her fevered skin. It was odd, though. There wasn't any precipitation last time she checked and it was awfully humid in the forest. This was another situation, however. The sky was painted a dull grey and the buildings were less absorbed by nature. Clutching her cloak to wrap itself more around her body, she walked along the frozen path that seemed to only go forward.

'It's a dream. It must be,' she told herself. 'But why does it feel so real?'

The white crystals crunched beneath her leather boots and she could already feel chills running down her back from either sickness or the anxiety coming over her. She had never witnessed such weather her entire life. Being in space, the Bunker was cold, but this was a lot different. More coughs emitted from her mouth and she could do nothing to stop it.

_____ glances around at the still buildings. They were abandoned, but by the looks of it, humanity had stood not quite long ago. She could almost hear the voices of people, whispering something right into her ear. Something was nearing her, and by now, she lost all sensation in her legs and was beginning to lose her sight again.

"Give them your life, your soul, and you shall be saved," it said. Somehow, the atmosphere felt similar like she'd been told this before. She didn't hesitate to give the same response.

"I won't."

Her vision returned to her briefly and her gaze cast to a band of dark, but luminescent beings. They seem to trudge closer to _____, but she couldn't budge from her spot. Her constant hacking stole most of her strength and her eager attempt to get on her feet was in vain. It was clear that the beings in front of her had distorted voices as they came towards her.

More coughs resonated, and she weakly brought her arms to her face as she tries to block the arm swinging towards her. Momentarily, she felt nothing but the stinging cold, nor could she hear their voices, but there were voices that stood out above the rest.

"Tell us more of what mankind used to be," their voices rang in her ears like bells. "You are the only one who can tell us."

A sharp intake of breath made Caine run to the human's side and take the damp cloth that rested on her forehead. He rushed to dip it in cool water, wring it a couple of times. and place it back on her head. At first. Caine didn't know what she had until he ventured out beyond the forest to ask the Resistance as directed by A2. She'd warned about both YorHa and the Resistance frantically searching for a missing human, so he decided to ask the pair of twins that didn't align with either.

After bantering with Devola for solid proof of _____'s illness, Popola was certain that all the human had was a fever. Popola also assumed that it would be that her body wasn't used to being on the surface, considering that she lived most of her life at the Bunker, which could also be why she appeared more frail and weak. At that point, Caine returned with simple instructions but only one plan in mind once ____ regained consciousness.

While adding more twigs to the fire situated in between the human and the android, he thought best he could do was keep her temperature from going any higher. Caine brushed his dirtied hands against his pants and watched over _____'s pained expression. She too, appeared to be fighting, even in her sleep.

"I hope you know what you're doing," an unusually toneless voice grumbled behind Caine. Jumping up and pulling the blade out of the sheath he points the tip at the albino male. He brought a gloved hand and pushed away the blade with his index finger.