Chapter 2: Masculinity.

So, where do I begin with this story?

Not gonna lie, I've been sitting behind this laptop for 10 minutes cursing myself for starting a book about my love life and not realising just how long it's gonna take. Maybe it'll be a labor of love... or perhaps an emotional and physical burden (much like my fucking acne).

So, after racking my brain for 10 long minutes, I've planned out each chapter and I now feel ready to inform y'all on this shit. Also, I'm going to be telling this story to you guys as if it was in real time - just to add a little bit of excitement.

//

September, 2017.
Year 12.
2 weeks into the new school year.

"Oh good, you're here." Miss Parks smiles as I finally burst through the classroom door... 10 minutes late.

It's period one on a Wednesday, and every Wednesday morning before school my two friends and I are in charge of 'Breakfast Club' in the small canteen.

Yes, it is indeed as gross as it sounds.

It involves getting to school 15 minutes early and serving toast and a small selection of juices to any year 7, 8 or 9 who has craving for burnt bread and Tesco Value butter.

Every Wednesday I have to deal with serving 'breakfast' to a bunch of smelly lower years who are yet to discover what a shower or hand soap is.

As a result, I'm always late to Media every Wednesday morning because I have to wash dishes and clean up what the little gremlins have left behind.

"Sorry Miss, a year 7 thought it would be smart to open the orange juice from the bottom of the carton and it exploded all over the floor." I reply as I shut the door behind me.

"That's alright, my dear." She smiles back at me as I walk towards my table.

I've always liked Miss Parks. She's the type of teacher who doesn't try to be "down with the kids" but just effortlessly is.

I set my eyes on my usual seat and place my bag down on the table. As I park my ass on the plastic chair beneath me, I take in a deep breath and absorb my surroundings.

The classroom has faded yellow walls with boards of past media work and film posters. Miss Parks sits at her desk in the corner, chatting away to Sophie and Anne who sit two rows ahead of me and off to the left.

Charlie's also involved in this conversation but sits one row ahead of me.

And that's it.

I sit to the left and three rows back - an oasis of empty desks surrounding me.

This is one of the many things I love about Media -- it's emptiness. It's created a cozy little family bond between the four students and the teacher whom inhabit this classroom. It's probably the only reason why I can still moderately tolerate coming into school.

I'm snapped out of my thoughtful daze by Miss Parks calling my name.

"Earth to Daniel..." She laughs.

I shake the daze out of my head and turn my gaze towards her.

"Huh? Oh, sorry. What was the question?" I ask whilst failing to suppress a yawn.

"Long night, Dan?" Anne asks me with an amused expression on her face.

"Or were you up late with a lady friend?" Charlie teases.

"No, I wasn't. I was studying - perhaps you should try it sometime." I reply as coolly as possible.

Charlie's eyes narrow in fake offence as Sophie and Anne sing a chorus of "Oooo's".