Part I Epilogue

Monica sat in her hospital bed three days later as she watched the news with her nurse.

"He's not going to stick to the cards." Monica muttered as she ate the mushy glop that sat on her tray.

"I'm sure your father knows how to read cards." The nurse encouraged her as they watched Tony Stark go onto stage.

"He knows how, but he has too big an ego." Monica informed, shoveling another scoop of glop into her mouth. "Ten bucks says he won't follow the cards."

The nurse was hesitant for a moment before nodding. "You're on kid."

Rhodey finished his speech for the camera's and quickly introduced Tony. "And now, Mr. Stark has prepared a statement. He will not be taking any questions. Thank you."

"Been a while since I was in front of you. I figure I'll stick to the cards this time." The nurse gave Monica a pointed look, Monica held up a finger. "There's been speculation that I was involved in the events that occurred on the freeway and the rooftop-"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Stark, but do you honestly expect us to believe that that was a bodyguard in a suit that conveniently appeared, despite the fact that you-" the woman from earlier interrupted Tony rather rudely.

"I know that it's confusing. It is one thing to question the official story, and another thing entirely to make wild accusations, or insinuate that I'm a superhero." Monica started to giggle, knowing that Tony was going to break.

"I never said you were a superhero." The reporter denied immediately.

"Didn't? Well, good, because that would be outlandish and fantastic. I'm just not the hero type. Clearly. With this laundry list of character defects, all the mistakes I've made, largely public, and with Monica." Monica grinned widely at her name being mentioned.

Rhodey leaned in to whisper something to Tony, who nodded in understanding.

"The truth is." He glanced down the cards then to the screen. The cards were set down. Monica held out her hand as Tony spoke. "I am Iron Man."

Nearly two hours later Tony finally made it back to the hospital, where his daughter was slowly recovering from a major concussion. "Hey kid, how are you doing?" He asked softly, sitting down on the bed.

Monica grinned and hugged her father, who quickly but gently hugged her back. "I'm good. Your predictability won me ten dollars." She mumbled against Tony's chest.

The superhero father chuckled as he rubbed circles into his daughters back. "Glad to be of service." He told her. "The doctor's said that you could be released tomorrow, but you would have to take it slow and they request you see a therapist." Tony told his daughter, who looked confused.

"Why would I need a therapist?" She asked her dad with a head tilt.
"I don't know kid, apparently being kidnapped messes up normal people." Tony explained to his daughter.
Monica laughed at Tony's words. "Good thing I'm not normal." 

Then, Victoria and Jason walked in, they having been near constant companions to Tony and Monica. Tony had to be dragged from Monica's side for the press conference.

"What's up kiddo?" Jason asked as he took his seat on Monica's other side.
"Not much old man, how about you?" Monica gigfled lightly.
"Old man! I'm hurt!" Jason exclaimed playfully, earning laughs from the room.
"Sorry babe." Victoria said as she hugfed her daughter.
"I feel betrayed." Jason grumbled pitifully.
"I'm getting out tomorrow, so we can go to the show Friday still." Monica told the two.

Victoria looked hesitant. "Is that such a good idea?" She asked, glancing to Tony, who just nodded. "Oh alright."

Everything seemed absolutely perfect for Monica. Her life was going great. She was unaware of the threat lurking in Europe.

E N D
F O R
N O W