Chapter 9

Finally Monica had a little weight off her shoulders as Nat drove to her house. It was like she could breathe again, if only for a little while.

Amd a little while it was because when Monica arrived home her heart dropped.

"What the hell..." She trailed as she stepped out of the car with Nat on her heels.

"Your father had a fight with Rhodey." Natasha informed as Monica stormed into the house, glass crackling under her feet.

She looked around in shock at the damage done. "With what? Nukes?"

"With the suits." Natasha corrected.

Monica looked at the woman in shock.  "Is everyone okay?" She asked.

"Everyone's fine, your father's ego is a little bruised though. He is currently not dying as fast at the moment and is looking for a platonium replacement." Natasha informed before looking at her watch. "I have to go, will you be good here?"

Monica nodded before disappearing off on JARVIS' directions to her father.

She found Director Fury sitting with her dad and Coulson with a box of things infront of them. "Hey guys, what's up? Did I miss the tea party?" Monica asked as she walked towards them. "Director, Coulson." She greeted, smacking her dads head as she passed. "Idiot."

"Miss Stark, it is good to see you alive and well, gave us a scare for a moment." Director Fury greeted with a smile.

"Can't rid of me that easily Director. So what's up?" She asked, taking a seat next to her dad.

"What does that mean, what is he talking about Mon?" Tony hissed in concern.

"Mom died, by the way Angelica is gorgeous, and I was kidnapped by the vigilantes who I then apprehended. Old news dad, keep up." Monica told him.

"I knew the first two, why did no one tell me about the third?" Tony questioned. 

"It was classified." Director Fury stated simply. "That thing in your chest is based on unfinished technology." Fury told tony.

"No, it was finished. It has never been particularly effective until I miniaturised it and put it in my chest." The billionaire rebuffed while Monica sat back and analyzed the information being given to her.

"No. Howard said the arc reactor was the stepping stone to something greater. He was about to kick off an energy race that was gonna dwarf the arms race. He was on to something big, something so big that it was gonna make the nuclear reactor look like a triple-A battery."

Monica's eyebrows rose as she imagined - or tried to - what could possibly be so amazing.

"Just him, or Anton Vanko in on this too?" Tony asked coolly.

"Anton Vanko? I don't understand, who is he?" Monica asked the group.

"Anton Vanko is the other side of that coin. Anton saw it as a way to get rich. When your father found out, he had him deported. When the Russians found out he couldn’t deliver they shipped his ass off to Siberia and he spent the next 20 years in a vodka-fuelled rage. Not quite the environment you want to raise a kid in, the son you had the misfortune of crossing paths with in Monaco." Fury informed.

Monica winced at the reminder of Monaco and nodded.

"You told me we hadn’t tried everything. What do you mean we haven’t tried everything? What haven’t we tried?" Tony asked, changing the topic of conversation.

"He said that you were the only person with the means and knowledge to finish what he started." Monica and Tony gave Fury a weird look.

"He said that?"