Chapter 7

Dixie's POV:

I had found two boys, or young adults I suppose I should say, walking down the sidewalk a bit after leaving the theater. They both willingly followed me down a little side street that was completely dark before I persuaded them both to take a fifteen minute nap. I drank quite a bit from both, a bit too much really as I realized that they would wake up a bit light-headed. I slipped some money and crackers into their jacket pockets before I left them as they started waking up. I've been doing this for nearly 180 years, and I like to think I've gotten pretty good at it.

I was considering looking for another one, even though I didn't really need it as much as I needed the first three, when I heard the girl pleading. It wasn't very loud, but as I started toward the sound of her panicked voice, it got louder. I soon found myself in the bad part of town, in a dark alley, where a middle-aged guy held a girl that looked no older than myself by her neck. I began to see red as I stared at his hand around the girl's neck, wanting nothing more than to rip it from his body.

"Now you listen to me you little bitch! Either you'll do as I say and sell what I tell you to or I'll toss your sorry ass out on the street. Do you hear your me?!?

I couldn't stop the hiss that escaped from my mouth as he slapped the girl. The girl had tears running down her face as she shielded herself from him, but it didn't stop him. I watched as he hit her more forceful than the last time, and I saw her pass out from the hit. He noticed it as well and laughed a bit before he dropped her onto the hard cement ground. It was then that he turned and saw me.

"Well what do I have here? A little birdie that might try to fly off and get help."

"I'm no bird. I'm the Angel of Mercy." (D)

"Oh really hahahahaa, what does an Angel think she can do to me?"

"This." (D)

I gave no warning, nor attempted any persuasion on the foul creature as I rushed towards him in a blur. I didn't even care if he was clean, I cared only for how he treated that girl. I had him pinned against the side of the brick wall in an instant. His moldy green eyes were wide with fear as I glared at him with my now black eyes, and then I smiled as I thought of what I wanted to persuade him to feel.

"You're very tired right now. You're going to take a ten minute nap and feel every bit of pain that you've ever caused another soul amplified ten times. You will sleep and you will feel their pain that you caused, but you won't be able to wake from it until the ten minutes are up. You will forget you ever saw me, but each time you think of hurting that girl again, you will feel as if you're on fire. Now sleep, feel their pain, forget me, and burn if you even think of hurting her."

I watched as his eyes closed and then I sliced through his shirt, clean to his shoulder. This time I sank my teeth into his shoulder, knowing that even while I was not venomous that it would still burn for a few days. I relished in knowing that he would be in pain even after I left him tonight, if I managed to leave him alive. I was losing myself to my rage against him and the bloodlust was gaining control. I was letting the side of myself that I often called Angel out, and I couldn't be happier in doing so as I was draining him. That was before I heard her soft, strong voice in the opening of the alley.

Esme's POV:

Rose and I had been searching Port Angeles for over two hours and though we had caught a scent of her earlier, we had lost it after a few moments. She was faster than I thought she would be. I knew we were both ready to call it a night when suddenly Rose froze. I was about to ask her why when I smelt what she smelt. Dixie's scent.

We follow the trail closely and find ourselves in the opening of a dimly lit alley. We both freeze as we see a young girl laying on the ground and just behind her Dixie with her teeth in the shoulder of an older looking man. I felt my heart break at the thought that she had lost control and we were too late to try and stop her or help keep her from coming to this point.