Chapter Twenty Seven

"What do you mean barely?" John asked, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion. The doctor sighed, shifting his weight, obviously uncomfortable.

"Well, when we brought him in he already had major blood loss, and his body isn't handling that well. He's slipping into a coma-like state, which isn't an awful thing. Until we can get him more blood, the coma is what's keeping him alive," Lafayette clamped his hand over his mouth, holding his stomach like he was going to be sick. "Are you alright sir? Would you like me to get you a nurse?"

"I'm- I'm fine," Lafayette said, sitting back down for fear his knees might give out. The doctor looked like he wanted to say something, to apologize or something. Yet he said nothing, and hurried away as soon as his bad news was over.

"He's alive," Alex smiled, rubbing Lafayette's back. "That's good."

"What if he doesn't make it?" Lafayette buried his face in his hands, his body trembling as he cried.

"You can't think like that, Laf," Peggy said, taking Lafayette's shaking hand. "He's gonna be okay? You hear me? Have hope, Laffy. Worrying that he's not going to make it isn't going to help Herc in the slightest." Lafayette nodded, lifting his face. He wiped his face with the sleeves of his hoodie, reforming the bun in his hair. "You're going to stay strong, okay?" Laf nodded.

The group waited in a tense silence, no one wanting to bring up the elephant in the room, and any other subject would feel like ignorance to the situation. They waited for hours, many hours until the same doctor came back. He came up to them, speaking to Lafayette directly, his news killing the bitter silence of the waiting room.

With the doctors news Lafayette crumbled to the ground in tears, his strength giving out. No one could say anything, there would have been no point.

Hercules made it, he was alive.