Chapter 15: Who Said I Was An Angel?

It's been days since Lauren's breakdown and quite a few things have changed.

For one, Nala is now an out and proud member of Room 727 -- no more hiding in the closet! -- and an important fixture in Lauren's bed; so important that Lauren lays out a very strict instruction to Camila that, under no circumstances is she allowed to touch her -- Nala, that is, not Lauren. Camila agrees to it under the condition that Mr. Snuggles should also be safe from any unwelcome manhandling and non-consensual cuddling, to which, Lauren mutters an insincere "Fine" with her fingers crossed behind her back.

Another thing Camila has noticed is that Lauren is now smiling more than she's scowling, and, for her, that's already a vast improvement which she's so thankful for. Although it usually follows with a teasing or fake complaints, it's fine with her because she knows better; it's just Lauren's defense mechanism.

A nicer Lauren makes a peaceful life and Camila is quite appreciative of that.

Of course, the world hasn't turned upside down. This is not some sort of weird Pleasantville parallel universe where Lauren is suddenly incapable of evil pranks and temper tantrums, or Camila turning into a docile pushover. They're still the same people who thrives on their bickering; the difference is, this time, both of them are now more open to the possibility of decent conversations every now and then.

She would even so far as assume that they're friends, but not too close where she'd introduce Lauren as her buddy. The world will succumb to an inevitable zombie apocalypse first before that happens. She needs to win Nala's trust first.

Camila has also noticed that Lauren has become more touchy-feely with her, not that she hasn't been trying to grope her before, but now, it's more like innocent touches which Camila isn't as averse to as she would have expected. It doesn't feel creepy or anything, and it's also not that subtle, which makes her wonder if Lauren is doing it on purpose or if she's even aware that she's being obvious.

For some reason, Camila can't help but smile whenever she feels Lauren's fingertips accidentally grazing her arm, or that one time when Lauren casually slings her arm on Camila's shoulder while they were watching Gypsy. Now she's starting to understand why a lot people keep running after Lauren even when she has made clear that she wants nothing to do with them; Lauren has this gift of making you feel special and wanted, it appeals to any person's narcissistic side. It's quite an addictive feeling, and Camila makes a note to herself that she must not succumb to it.

Lauren has even stocked up their pantry with different varieties of tea, coffee beans, cookies, and bananas -- which is obviously for Camila's sake, because those are her favorite things. And there's no hair clogging the drain anymore. She's trying to be a decent roommate, and Camila is much aware of it.

And that's why she decides to give something to Lauren, in honor of everything that has happened these past few days. After all, she's always been a giver, she's so used to giving and that's all she knows.

Excitement courses through her veins as she walks back to the dorm, her hands holding securely her gift for Lauren, the smile on her face never faltering because she gets so pumped up every time she has a gift for someone.

Once she opens the door, with a bit of struggle because, she lets out an excited squeal when she sees Lauren, who's lying on her stomach and her feet up in the air as she reads a book.

Lauren looks up in surprise as Camila carelessly kicks backwards to shut the door, her hands extended towards Lauren as if she's offering the blood of a virgin to the goddess of bisexuals.