Chapter 22: Chugs & A Bun

Lauren still doesn't go back to 727. She feels that the place has been tainted, that it reminds her of a time when she has felt so much self-loathing and insecurities, when her go-to defense mechanism was to lash out angrily at anybody, when she's reminded of everything she hates about herself.

She thought that Camila was different, that despite everything, Camila accepted her -- flaws and all. But to be called a slut by someone she likes is like a backhanded slap to the face; it just reinforces her belief that it's stupid to think that a decent human being like Camila could respect someone like her. And she couldn't even blame her. Lauren's a jerk, like, who would put up with her shit?

So she avoids the room like the plague; asks Normani to make sure Camren is fed, and to also pick up Nala for her. Good thing she always keeps a bag full of spare things in her backseat (something she's learned to do with the lifestyle she has of partying and drinking and spontaneous hook-ups -- it's always nice to be fresh and prepared the next morning).

Today, she decides to hang out with Dinah and Normani, not because she's dying to face the firing squad, so to speak, as she damn well knows that they're about to do an intervention, but because Normani threatened to hide Nala for a month if Lauren didn't show up.

This is why she doesn't want to show anyone her weakness -- blackmail is a bitch, and Normani sure knows where to inflict the most damage. Damn her stupid beautiful face. She better have taken good care of Nala, or else.

So here she is, sitting at a small round table drinking cold beer, where she can sense two pair of inquisitive eyes on her.

Ally refused to go with them because she says the loud music hurts her ears -- although, Dinah claims she overheard her talking on the phone telling Will she's gonna be wearing crotchless panties tonight so he better preserve his energy.

Camila is with Shawn since he has to go back home on Sunday, so they're just spending quality time together.

Which is a good thing because now they can talk freely about the issue that's begging to be resolved, and if Dinah has a say in it, she'd be meddling her ass in every ways possible.

"So, lemme get this straight, there were no grand gestures, no romantic set-ups, no flowers, no chocolates, no sweet words. You literally asked Chancho if she 'wanted to grab a bite' and basically told her she looked like she needed food?"

They are currently in Chugs & A Bun, a resto bar and a popular hang out for students because of its cheap beer and burgers (and known for their Hall of Fame dare: free brew of beer with a mix of whatever random liquor the bartender chooses that day --which could render you incapacitated if you're a lightweight -- for two full hours and a solo serving of their special triple decker burger with fries to anyone who could sing the Chugs & A Bun theme song with mouth stuff with cheese and jalapeño without choking, spitting, missing a beat or lyrics, crying, or passing out. If you lost the challenge, you have to pay for the drink and burger plus double your bill, and you'll be permanently included in the list of wall of shamers -- your ugliest picture taken while doing the challenge plastered in the bar's wall of shame. Most college students would die trying if it means a chance for free booze, food, and to see their faces in that wall, and that includes Dinah, who almost won a month ago, the crowd going wild as she muffle-sang "he like that ham ham ham, she like that bun bun bun, he like that sauce sauce sauce, she chugalug lug lug...she flip when she drinkin', one drink and he trippin'" but she accidentally swallowed a big chunk of jalapeño which made her lose her breath for a few seconds. Sean, the owner of C&AB, was gracious enough to give her one free pitcher of beer so she could wash away her sorrow, not to mention, the burning sting of the jalapeño stuck in her throat), and boy, is Lauren regretting ever agreeing to meeting up with these two. They're relentless and annoying, and Lauren is so not in the mood for any bullshit.