Chapter 28: Milkshake and Bacon

"Something that will blow you away." Lauren grins widely, her self-assured posture tells Camila that she's truly convinced that her gift will totally blow her away.

Well, now Camila's definitely excited.

"I feel like I missed an opportunity to insert my fart joke." She pouts.

"Please, not today, Satan." Lauren playfully groans. "Okay, here. This is my gift for you."

If this was an anime episode, there'll be a loud gust of wind passing them by, and both will be silent; Lauren looks at her with big puppy dog eyes while Camila has a confused expression on her face and her eyebrow above her head and a bead of sweat floating on air near her ear.

"A backpack?" Camila alternately shifts her gaze from Lauren to the bag she's just been handed, wondering why Lauren thinks she should give her one.

Does she look like she's in dire need of a backpack? Granted, it is a cute bag, kinda chic and edgy, totally Lauren's style. It looks too expensive though, something she wouldn't be able to afford even if she skips meals and save up her allowance for a month.

Wait... Is this why Lauren is giving her an expensive bag? Does she pity her because she saw her a few days ago sewing up a tiny rip from her one and only school bag -- the one which prevented her from breaking her spinal cord when she fell down the stairs months ago?

Camila glares at Lauren, ready to defend her pride and her trusty bag, but then Lauren smiles so eagerly, and a little too adorably, and Camila quickly forgets what she was mad about.

"Open it." Lauren's basically bouncing on her feet and brimming with unusual energy that's so uncharacteristic of her.

So, Camila slowly opens the flap and peers inside.

First, she takes out a bottle of sunblock.

"Prevents premature aging caused by too much sun rays." Lauren explains. "In case you wanna go somewhere hot."

As if she's making any sense, Camila doesn't say anything, and pulls out another item from the bag.

A mosquito-repellent lotion.

"Uhm, do we have mosquitoes here? I haven't been bitten yet." Only by a huge one with green eyes, Camila thinks.

"In case you wanna go somewhere tropical. Go on. There are more in there."

A pair of aviator shades, and a cool army green jacket. She looks up in confusion.

Lauren shrugs. "I just thought those will look good on you. You'll be cute."

"But why?"

"Check inside, there's another item in there."

Camila sees something folded up in a big square, and realizes that it's a map. A world map, to be specific. Underneath it is a pink shirt and an orange shorts.

"Seriously?! You want me to dress up as Dora the Explorer." Camila squints, imagining herself with short hair and bangs and wearing the outfit. "Is this your kink? Do you want me to yell 'Swiper no swiping!' next?"