Part 2 - 22

TWENTY TWO – BRODY

It was Saturday.  I should be at home or, at the very least, on the golf course.  Why would I be at home, though?  It was just a big empty house and golf, please. I hated golf.  So instead, I was at the office, trying to bury myself in work.  Nobody else was working today, so I had the place to myself, except for the weekend guard downstairs.  With nobody else around it was so quiet that the phone on my desk ringing, made me jump a good foot in the air.  I picked it up, only to have the downstairs guard, Felix, tell me, "I'm sorry, Sir, she's already on her way up."

"Who?"  I demanded.

"She bribed me with brownies, Sir."  He said, sounding muffled, like he had a mouth full of brownies.

Just then, a vision in white stepped into my doorway.  Lexi Green was even more beautiful now than she had been six years ago and that was saying something.  Gone was her purple hair and I realized that I actually missed it.  In its place was a thick, dark blond that I could quickly get used to though.  Her hazel eyes shined with several unnamed emotions.  I'd give every penny I had, in that moment, to know what she was thinking.  She held a pan of brownies in front of her, as if using that to shield her from me.  I hated that she felt the need for a shield against me, but I understood it.  She took one step inside my office, the material of her white sundress swishing around her very shapely legs.  Her waist was still trim, but her boobs looked like they'd gotten bigger.  I used to be intimately acquainted with her breasts and I'd give anything to become reacquainted.

"Hello Brody."  She spoke smoothly and confidently, but I could still see threw her.  She was nervous, but she wanted me to think she was ready for this show down, but she clearly wasn't.  I wouldn't call her out on that though. I'd be stupid to do that.  She had come to me and I would forever be eternally grateful for this encounter.

"Hello Lexi, what brings you by?"

She glanced around, "So this is your office?"

From her tone, I couldn't tell if she were impressed or not.  "Yes, it's my office."

She turned to face me again, frowning, "Uh, well...I suppose it suits you...now."

Now I got it.  She was trying to figure out who I was now.  The man before her was completely different than the one she used to know.  I hoped she would like me now, as much as she liked me before, but I doubted it.  Being a Saturday, I wore jeans and polo shirt.  What would she think if she could see me in my business suit?  Being the boss, I could really wear what I want, but I liked to remind people who the boss was.  So I rocked the power suit most days, during the week.

My phone suddenly rang on my desk again and I picked it up, growling into it, "What is this, Grand Central Station?  It's Saturday, Felix!"

"I'm sorry, Sir, but—"

Felix was cut off when my mother apparently grabbed the phone, "Tell this man to let me up, Brody."

I sighed, "I'll be right down."  No way in hell could I let mom come up and find Lexi here.  I wanted to test the waters with Lexi, to see where her head was at.  My mother would ruin that.  So I hung up the phone and told Lexi, "I have something I need to tend to downstairs.  Will you, please, wait for me here?"

Lexi nodded and I gave her a small smile of thanks, before hurrying to the elevator.  In the downstairs lobby, mom was giving Felix hell.  I made a mental note to give the poor man a raise.  Mom suddenly turned and saw me, transferring her glare to me as she said, "You've been ignoring my calls.  What's this about you breaking things off with Whitney?  That poor girl was in tears yesterday."

I snorted, "She may have been in tears, but it wasn't because of any feelings she has for me.  She's embarrassed to have been dumped and she's sad because she'll never have access to my money. Mother, get a clue."

"How can you be so heartless?"

"I learned from the best."  I snapped back, making her gasp.  I rolled my eyes, "Don't pretend otherwise, mother.  You've been cold my whole life.  If my friends or girlfriends didn't meet your approval, you did your best to end those relationships.  If my friends didn't have enough money or didn't have the right name, then they weren't worthy, in your eyes.  I never cared about any of that."

Mom's eyes narrowed, "This is because of that girl.  Whitney told me she's back in town.  Whitney thinks you're still pinning for her and that's the real reason you ended your relationship."

"I ended my relationship with Whitney because I couldn't pretend anymore.  I only started dating her to make you happy.  I never intended to marry her, no matter what either of you thought.  I told Whitney that, up front, so she can't pretend to be shocked now.  She was a good screw.  That's it."  I said coldly, again shocking my mother.

Then mom said the words that would change my life forever.  "You're just like your father, the cold-hearted bastard."

I couldn't breathe.  I couldn't move.  I couldn't focus on anything.  My world went blurry for a moment and I wondered if I was about to faint.  When my vision corrected itself I knew what I had to do, so I told mom, "You're right.  I did become my father and that is something I told myself I'd never do.  I can't believe I allowed this to happen.  For six years, I've done what either you or dad told me to do, but no more.  I'm done.  Monday morning I'll make the announcement.  I'm quitting my job.  I'll promote Cammy or whatever I need to do to make it happen, but I want nothing more to do with this company.  Hell, I don't even want to be a part of this family most of the time.  Congratulations mother.  You've been slowly breaking me for years, well, I'm officially broken.  I'm damaged goods.  No woman will ever be able to stand me, because I can't even stand myself.  You can't be surprised that I turned out just like my old man.  The two of you molded me into the person I am today."

With that, I walked out.  I didn't stop to hear what my mother had to say to that.  I didn't go back upstairs to the only woman I will ever love.  I just left.  I was all the way across town before I called Felix to ask him to escort Lexi out.  Felix informed me, "Uh, Miss Green saw herself out.  I think she may have eavesdropped on some of your conversation with your mother.  Miss Green waited for your mother to leave and then she came from the stairs.  She was crying, Sir."

I clenched my jaw and said, "It's not the first time I've made her cry.  Thank you, Felix."  Then I proceeded to drive around aimlessly for hours.