Chapter 25: Dakota's Not-So Little Helpers

Dakota's POV

The final days of Summer. Damn. My flight is tomorrow and I have to take the jet headed to Boston and then take a car ride to Andover which is north of Boston.

This also means it's my last day with Bailey my horse before I leave for Phillips Academy Andover in Massachusetts for my final year there before I head to Yale... or atleast, I want to be a part of that school, and in addition, I have a competition against other riders  from different states for the Junior League National Equestrian Cup. One of the competitors is my cousin Julia Rockerfeller from my dad's side.

"Good morning sweetheart." I hear my dad's greeting and then leaves a kiss behind my head.

"Morning." I reply while taking a bite of my waffle.

"Are you excited for the championship today?" He asks.

"A bit. However this time, I want to win." I answer.

He sits beside me as one of our many nannies puts out his breakfast in front of him.

"Honey, I am proud of you no matter what." He states.

"Easy for you to say, you won that cup 3 times in a row." I retort.

"What I'm saying is, if you really want to win, you have to be the horse, empathize with Bailey, set a goal, be inspired, worry not. " He reassures me.

"Besides, I have connections with Laura Vanderbilt, I could throw in a little something something to make sure you win either you or Julia  that is" He adds.

"As much as I would like that, please don't. Besides, Julia's pretty good too." I grumble

He just chuckles at my expense.

 "Finish your breakfast then let's head out." He scolds,

"You're going with me?" I question.

'Well yes, I'm not going to miss on my daughter winning her first ever title." He replies.

I just smile. Wow he really believes in me... this is great.

Time to perform a show jump. 

"We can do this, Bailey." I tell my 4 year old horse.

Bailey runs toward the hurdle and my heart skips a beat as soon as she jumps. Oh yeah, Bailey's a girl by the way, but I don't want her to have ponies any time soon, she's my baby.

A perfect jump. Thank goodness.

I turn her around and her a round of applause from the crowd. I smile at the crowd to see my dad raising his fist in the air.

I give him a thumbs up and giggle a bit. 

The judges give me a perfect 10. I have this is in the bag.

"That was amazing, Dakota." Mitchie my trainer says as soon as I hop off from Bailey's back.

"Learned from the best, Mitchie." I give her a wink then sit down beside the other competitors. 

To my right is my cousin Julia and to my left is Elizabeth Bloomingdale.

"You're Harry Styles' ex-girlfriend right?" Elizabeth Bloomingdale, the girl who received a bronze in the previous competition, asks.

"And you're irrelevant, right?" I retort.

"Wow. No wonder he broke up with you. You are heinous." She sneers.