[ 13 ]

Malia's POV

I walked downstairs the following morning for breakfast.

"Any word on Marissa yet?" I asked Megan.

"I was gonna say you should be at school, but you're suspended so... anyway. She's fine. She just had appendicitis and is going to undergo surgery today."

"When?"

"In a few hours. You can go wait on her if you'd like. Morgan, Daniel, and I are going to work. Mason's, obviously, in school."

"I've got nothing better to do."

She grabbed her keys, "keep me updated. Love you."

"Love you, too."

Dorsel Fin 🐬: good morning

Me: morning :)

Dorsel Fin 🐬: how's Marissa?

Me: she's getting surgery in a little

Dorsel Fin 🐬: if you don't mind me asking, what happened?

Me: she had appendicitis 🤷🏻‍♀️

Dorsel Fin 🐬: did you sleep well?

Me: yes I did, thank you for asking
You?

Dorsel Fin 🐬: indeed I did.

Me: focus on schoooool lmao

Dorsel Fin 🐬: I just wanted to make sure you're okay

Me: I am. Thanks 😌♥️

These small messages, these little conversations, were just like the ones we had once we started growing feelings for each other the very first time. It's bringing back some memories. I'm having war flashbacks.

Grayson's POV

"And you're sure she said she never stopped loving you and that she misses you and whatever?" Ethan asked and shut his locker.

"I am 110% positive. I put her in the car and buckled her up. Then she said she still loves me and never stopped, followed by 'I miss him.'"

"Grayson..."

"Ethan I swear."

"Let's go over there and see then. Get more answers."

"No. I don't want her to feel attacked. But if we go, don't talk about what happened during the car ride."

Malia's POV

"Ethan? Fancy seeing you FaceTiming me again."

He slipped an earphone in, "our teacher didn't show up so I wanted to catch up with you. It's been a while."

"We talk all the time at lunch."

"I meant one-on-one you dingus."

I rose my finger up, "okay rude."

"So how've you been?"

"Pretty good. Getting ready to go see Marissa."

"Sorry to hear about that. I'm not sure what exactly happened, all I know is that she's in the hospital. Hope she's okay."

"She is." I smiled. "How've you been?"

"Same as usual. Nothing too spectacular."

"Rip us."

"I have a question for you."

"Oh man. Go for it I guess." I got nervous.

I began putting my shoes on.

He cleared his throat, "do you miss my brother?"

I looked at him.

"What?"

"Do you ever miss him?"

"Are you asking for you or for him?"

"Both." he said sheepishly.

"Ethan..."

"If anything, I won't tell him."

Don't get me wrong, I trust Ethan. But for him to just ask now? He hasn't talked to me, let alone tried to talk to me, since Grayson and I broke up. I didn't want to say yes and he turns around and tells Grayson. But I don't wanna lie to him either. I'm just stuck in the middle and I don't know what to do.

"I don't know."

"Yesterday, you thought Megan came to pick you up when you were being driven home."

"Please tell me you're joking..." I could've been a loose cannon and said something I'm gonna end up regretting.

"Midway, you said you missed him and that you never stopped loving him."

"Ethan this isn't funny." I started getting defensive.

"Malia, I'm not joking."

"How do you even know this?"

"Because he told me."

"I gotta go. Marissa's going into surgery soon and I told my sisters that I'd be there before she does." I lied again. "I'll talk to you later."

I hung up before he could say anything else.

Grayson's POV

"Did she say anything?" I asked Ethan at lunch.

"That whole conversation went weird after I asked her. So I really don't have a direct answer for you."

"Okay what did you say?"

"She hesitated before she told me she doesn't know if she does. So I'm gonna assume that she does because of the hesitation. Then I proceeded to tell her about the whole car thing."

"I specifically told you not to."

"Well... anyway. She thought I was joking and I said I wasn't. Then she said she had to go see Marissa before she went into surgery."

I have to go talk to her and straighten things out.