Chapter thirty one.

I look like hell when I stand from where Kaci left me. My hair is a fizzy mess.

I notice Lucy's terrible pink , purple and blue hair and I instantly want to drag it out. Cody's words hit me and I actually take my time to look at her. She has a bright smile but the shit that comes from her mouth is taking her beauty

I notice Cody stomp in. This has got to be a dream. From the other door Chase is walking in gently. I take my time to look at the both. Good looking. Strong. Smart. Warm and cold.

I shake my head to rid my morbid thoughts. I am really running mad.

The party is this night. Next two days , my birthday. Could this year get any worse. My dad and an unknown number has been sending shit to me.

I am seated alone in my seat my head on the table. I should just pass out. Maybe it's better I choose none. Up notice Cody talking to Lucy and a pang of jealousy hits me. I keep myself busy to stop thinking about him but when I pause I still see his face.

Chase waves at me and I shyly return it. This is as well the last time ill see that smile directed to me.

The day runs as fast as I can remember. I didn't pay any attention to any class. The only sentence I picked from a class was.

You have to make an important decision. You don't know what to pick. Sometimes it seems the worse is the best. The dark one is sometimes better than the bright one. You end up regretting the decisions we don't make and it stays with you forever....one decision can ruin you.

I'm starting to think they are the voices but I'm sure one of my professors said it.

I'm back at Kaci 's house. I don't want to go to chases house. Or Cody's house. I want to be alone.

"You've been like this since. It's not like you lost a boyfriend the way that I did. It's just one decision.

  One decision can ruin you.

"Sure. I'm just trying to wake myself from this nightmare."

She is dressed in black biker shorts and something that resembles a bra top. He knee length boots are perfect and so is her make up. She's looking pretty and I'm looking like hell when it could be the other way round.

"You have to get dressed you look like hell." Exactly what I was thinking.

"Well I tried to look like you today. "

"Well....You did a pathetic job"

I really don't want to go for this party of theirs. Kaci is stronger than I expect. She and Jay are on a rough part and she still builds the guts to go to his house for a party.

In minutes I have my hair worn up as usual. It is returning to its natural colour and it takes a lot to not dye it.

I am dressed in a very short black beaded dress. The dress us awfully short and shiny. I don't want any attention this night. I end up in one of kaci 's is heels.

"I hope you're ready. I had Caleb come and pick us." She announces to me adding some extra mascara.

Jays house is awfully filled up and the thought of what goes on inside is sickening me. I try not to make eye contact with all of the kids littering the lawn on a school night.

I step into the living room and try to find something to do. Everyone seems so engrossed in one thing or the other and I find myself in the kitchen. The counter is brimming with red cups and alcohol.

On the other side of the room Cody and his friends are playing a game. I don't want to join them I want to avoid everyone especially Chase.

"Hey. Nicole come and join us here." I'm trying my best to be a snob but it isn't working. Life has giving me the gift of invisibility and Cody took it away.

I turn to see a happy Kaci and a distressed Lucy. Did she really have to be here. I move towards them and take the seat far from Cody and Chase.

The game goes on for minutes and I feel like I'm going to die.

"I'm just going to go out for fresh air."

I plaster the fakest smile ever and once I'm out of sight. I make a run for it. I stop outside by the porch in an attempt to run.

"What are you running from. Face it."
I look back to see no one there. The voices. I pretty much thought if I crushed Chase he wontons affected because just this night I saw him with a pretty brunette and he seemed happy.

"Hey Nicole." It's chase. I must be hearing the voices.

"Hi chase." My voice is terrible and it comes more like a squeak.

"I have something to tell you."

You won't be seeing Chase

"Go on tell me."
He's standing inches from me and I feel awfully terrible.
"Well....." he rubs the back of his neck.

"There's this girl I like. She's blonde and has crazy eyes. She's really pretty."

I'm not blonde. Presently.

"Ok. Go on."

"And I don't know how to ask her."

A wash of relief hits me and next is a pang of jealousy. She's a really lucky girl to have chase.

"Easy. Act like I'm her and you're you."

"Hi. I'm chase...is this working." He laughs. What a perfect sound.

"Sure go on." The atmosphere is better.

"I really like you and I want you to be my girlfriend." He blunts.

"See. That was easy. So go out there and ask that special lady."

"Sure I will. "

I wait for seconds but he doesn't move.

"What are you waiting for another man could get her."

"The thing is ....I just asked her. What's your answer Nick."

I am shocked. This has to be a nightmare. My entire life has to be one. Wake me up.