Twenty-Two

(Tyson's point of view.)

"I'm too sleepy," Scarlett says. Her eyes are closed and she's smiling at me, I wrap my arm around her waist and pull her closer so her head rests on my shoulder.

Tonight is Midnight Delight, it's a Pali thing where campers are pulled out of their bunks when they're supposed to be sleeping and are taken to the mess hall for candy and a good two hours of laughter.

Scarlett was a good sport until she hit her sugar crash stage- which she's in now.

"C'mon, we're all going back to the cabin." I whisper into her hair. She sighs but stands up. She sways, and I immediately catch her, she's really out of it tonight.

"Thanks..." she says quietly. Her voice is slow, I can't help the nagging voice in the back of my mind that says something is really wrong.

"Do you want me to give you a piggy back ride?" I ask. There's no way she's going to be able to walk downhill and in loose gravel.

"Please?" she asks smiling.

I smile and squat down, I have to pull her onto my back, she hugs me tight so I don't worry about her falling off.

"Tyson, she can walk." Polaroid tells me sternly.

"No, she can't. She's too sleepy." I say.

As if to prove my point, Scarlett starts singing 'Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa' by Vampire Weekend. Her voice is so weak and slow, how could the little sugar she consumed do this to her?

"Dude, what happened to her?" Harry asks.

"I don't know," I answer truthfully. I wish I knew what was going on.

"What did she eat?" Jeremy asks.

"Um, a cup cake, air head, and a soda." I think. That was it, wasn't it?

"Scarlett, are you allergic to anything?" Joshua asks.

I feel her shake her head and breathe a sigh of relief.

But there's still the question, what made her like this? I feel Scarlett kiss my cheek and nuzzle her head into the crook of my neck.

We walk to the cabin, the trio of guys are laughing and joking- obviously still on their sugar high. Scarlett's weak voice sings a song I don't recognize.

"I saw Hunter," she says softly.

I stop walking. Did he do something? He couldn't, he wouldn't!

"Did you talk to him?" I ask, I start walking again.

"Yeah," she pauses to yawn. "He says sorry."

"Was that it?"

"Well, he gave me my soda. Then I got sleepy."

No. Oh hell no.

"Polaroid! I'm taking Scarlett to the infirmary!" I shout over my shoulder. I jog over to the small two story wooden building and I hear Scarlett's laughter over my shoulder.

I kick the door softly with my foot, the nurse opens the door and studies me quizzically.

"I think someone gave her something." I say. I carefully put Scarlett down on the little couch and the nurse takes her temperature.

"Go back to your cabin, I'll keep an eye on her." The nurse tells me. She takes the thermostat and reads the number, then looks down at Scarlett- who is curling up to go to sleep.

"Can't I stay here?"

"No, I'll have someone send her clothes from her cabin-"

"I'm in her cabin."

The nurse stops talking and studies me. "Oh, this is the girl.."

"Hunter McClain gave her a soda. Do you know how he could have given her anything?" I ask.

"McClain? Oh," the nurse stops and laughs. Why is she laughing? She shouldn't be laughing. "He came in and got some sleeping pills. Take her back to her bunk and she'll be fine in the morning."

Sleeping pills? He gave her sleeping pills? "Do you remember how many he took?"

"Just enough for one night. She will be perfectly fine."

I look over to the beautiful girl on the couch and smile seeing her already asleep.

I let out a sigh and turn back to the nurse. "Thank you. I'll take her back."

The nurse gave me an all-knowing smile and nodded. I went over to Scarlett and picked her up bridal style. She muttered something and I moved one of her arms around my neck.

"Can you open the door for me, please?" I ask the nurse.

"Sure thing, sweetheart." She says smiling. She opens the door and I start on the walk back to our cabin.

"What am I gonna do with you?" I whisper to the sleeping beauty in my arms.

In her sleep, she smiles and pulls herself closer to me. I smile back, and kiss her forehead before I pull her closer and walk a little quicker.