Chapter 10

That night, Whitney was waiting for Julie to come pick her up. They had planned to go ice skating for the 7p.m. to 12 a.m. session. Whitney was just thinking of what it'd be like for it to be Taylor picking her up and it being a date. Julie knocking on the front door brought her out of her daydream. She stood up and went to open it.

"Hey Whitney!" Julie said, hugging her friend.

Whitney couldn't help but smile at Julie's bounciness,"Hey Jules."

After they parted, Julie said excitedly,"I can't believe Tay's birthday is less than five days away! We are gonna have a blast at the party!"

Whitney's hand flew to her mouth as it all came back to her of what she and Julie had planned and what she and Tay had planned for Tay's birthday. "Oh my God!" she half mumbled, half exclaimed behind her hand.

"What Whitney?" Julie was confused at her friend's reaction.

"I totally forgot about the party! And I made other plans..." she stumbled into her living room and sat down hard on the couch.

Julie followed and sat next to her,"How could you possibly forget Tay's birthday?!"

"I..I didn't forget his birthday....I...just made other plans..."

"Like what?!" Julie couldn't believe this.

Whitney was in a half daze and didn't answer for a couple minutes. Then she finally snapped out of it and looked at Julie,"Taylor is coming. I have something really important to talk to him about and he's gonna visit me on his break...."

Julie's face showed no emotion for a minute while she took that in, then she broke out in a huge grin,"But Whitney!" she said gently shaking her friend excitedly,"that's awesome! Now he can come to the party we're throwing for him!"

Whitney thought about that, but then slowly started to shake her head,"No Jules, that won't work."

Julie frowned," Why not?"

"Well, I didn't tell him about it and I'm sure he doesn't want to deal with a bunch of people when he thinks he's gonna get a break from all that. Besides, I just said I needed to talk to him, not that we're having a party for his birthday."

Julie was thoughtful for a minute, then said,"Well....could you at least mention it to him? Say that I wanted to know if he'd come. That way if he gets mad or whatever, it's on me, not you."

Whitney never could say no to her best friend,"I guess so....I suppose it wouldn't hurt just to see if he'd like to come....but I'm not gonna force him."

Julie grinned,"Works for me," then something entered her mind,"Uh...Whitney?"

"Yeah?"

"Is..uh..is Ike and Zac coming too?"

Whitney's brow creased as she tried to recall if they'd said anything to her about that,"Um...I..don't know. They might, they never mentioned it though. Not that I can remember anyway."

A sad look crossed Julie's face, but a smile quickly replaced it,"Well, I hope they do."

Suddenly it hit Whitney why her friend had asked that,"Don't you mean you hope IKE comes?"

"Uh..yeah..well...you know I love all three of them..," Julie stammered.

Whitney raised her left eyebrow,"Yeah..and I happen to know how much you love the oldest."

A blush crept on Julie's cheeks, then a sly look crossed her face,"And I happen to know how much you love the middle one."

Whitney looked sheepish and held up her hands in mock surrender,"Okay, you caught me."

Julie laughed at her friend's response.

As they walked out the door to go ice skating, Whitney mumbled to herself,"You have NO IDEA how much I love the middle one." She patted her stomach, hoping that Taylor's baby would be growing there by the end of July.