Chapter 26

Whitney sat on her bed, turning the box over and over in her hands. It remained unopened. She was half afraid to find out. Not because she was having second thoughts, but because she was afraid she wouldn't be pregnant. What would she do then? She certainly couldn't ask Tay to do it again.

She sighed,"It's now or never." She opened the box and started walking towards the bathroom.

Right then, there was a knock on the front door downstairs. She sat the box down on her nightstand and walked downstairs. She opened the door to see the very guy she had been thinking about standing there.

"Hey." He looked nervous.

"Uh, hi. Come in." She stepped aside. "So what brings you here?" she said, as she closed the door.

"I..well..did you tell my mom?"

Oh, she thought, so THAT'S why he's so nervous.

Out loud she said,"Nope. The only people who know are you, me, Ike, and Zac."

He sat down on the couch heavily in relief,"Oh thank God."

"She'd be a good grandmother," Whitney didn't realize she said it out loud.

"Is that a hint?" Tay asked, sort of suspiciously,"Are you gonna take back your word about I can claim the child as mine or not?"

"Oh no!" she said quickly,"I was just thinking that. I didn't mean to say it...No Tay, it's still your decision."

He saw he had upset her. He reached over and squeezed her hand,"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound so harsh."
She sighed,"It's alright."

That sat in silence for a couple minutes, Tay still holding her hand.

"She WOULD be a good grandmother," he said softly.

"Yep...well, if that's all you came over for..." she trailed off.

"You took a long time answering the door.." he commented, not replying to her half question.

"I was just about to take that pregnancy test," her nervousness returned then.

"Would...would you like me to stay?..."

"I, uh, yeah I would," she said sincerely.

"Alright then," he said, standing up and pulling her with him,"let's go see."

A couple minutes later they were sitting on the bed, waiting for the results.

After the time was up, Whitney just sat there.

Tay gently pulled her to her feet and led her into the bathroom.

Before looking at the results he asked,"What are you afraid of? Having second thoughts?"

"No," she shook her head,"I'm afraid I'm not pregnant." The sincerity in her eyes told him she was telling the truth.

"Oh," was all he could manage to say.

She shakily looked then, and slowly a big smile spread across her face,"Oh my God, thank you," she whispered.

Tay couldn't help the smile that crossed his face. He would have a child, even if no one else but him and Whitney knew it.

Whitney looked up at Tay, her face practically glowing with happiness. She threw her arms around his neck,"Thank you SO much Tay. Thank you so much."

He returned the hug, hard.