Chapter 12

Whitney woke up the next morning feeling really nervous. Her stomach was twisted into knots and she felt like she was gonna be sick. She took a couple deep breaths until her nerves settled down. She didn't know how she was going to look into Tay's eyes and ask this of him. She slowly got up and walked to the window. It was still early, she could tell, because the sun was just making it's way up. Daylight poured over her front yard. She just stood there for a couple minutes, wondering how she was going to bring this up, and when, and thought of what his reaction would be.

She turned from the window and got ready to take a shower. She stepped into the warm, soothing water and let it roll over her stressed out body. It was like a massage all over.

Fifteen minutes later she emerged and cursed at herself for forgetting at least a robe besides the towels she had brought in the bathroom with her. She was used to it just being her and her mom. And usually her mom wasn't home, so Whitney could parade around naked if she pleased to. But now Taylor was there and she didn't know how she was going to get past his room in a towel. That was going to be an awkward situation.

"Not anymore awkward than when I ask him and if he actually does agree to it," she mumbled to herself, wrapping the towel around her as tightly as possible.

She cracked open the door and saw the coast was clear, so she scrambled to her bedroom and shut the door and locked it. She quickly put on a pair of jeans and a short-sleeved shirt. She was just starting to brush out her hair when there was a knock at the door. Holding her brush in one hand and with her hair still mostly tangled, she went over, unlocked the door and opened it.

There stood Taylor still in his boxers and a t-shirt. "Hey," he grinned.

"Hey," she smiled and went back to her mirror to finish brushing out her hair.

He followed,"I was just wondering if I could take a shower and where would the towels be?"

"Uh, if you wait a minute I'll show you. I just want to finish with my hair," she said. Her hair was almost completely free of tangles, when the brush suddenly snagged on a knot and she let out a slight scream. "Ow! Damn it! That hurt," she said rubbing the spot where her hair had pulled painfully.

"Here, let me help you,"Taylor said, as he took the brush from her hand and gently loosened the knot and finished brushing her hair for her. He then reached past her and laid it on her dresser. This put them in VERY close proximity with each other. She could feel the warmth of his body slightly pressing against her back. They just stood like that for what seemed like an eternity to Whitney when she suddenly pulled away. "Uh, thanks," she said, turning around, "I'll go get you a towel," and she headed off with Tay following her. She handed it to him.

He grinned,"Thanks."

She smiled,"No prob. I'll go down and get some breakfast for us."

He closed the door and she went back in her room to pull her hair up into a ponytail and then made her way downstairs.