Chapter 15

The next day Whitney got out of bed and headed to the bathroom to take a shower, remembering her clothes this time, and found Taylor already in there. She shook her head. "I guess he just needed a day to get back to his early bird self," she mumbled wryly to herself as she trudged back to her room to wait for him to finish. She flashed back to memories of him and her hanging out at early Hanson concerts. In schools, outside of clubs, churches, wherever people would listen to them. He eventually came to recognize her at each event. They would hang out before and after and him and brothers started bringing water guns to the outside concerts and would squirt her. She learned and retaliated. A smile played on her lips as the past flashed across her mind, behind her eyes. She heard the water stop and a couple minutes later Taylor's door shut. She jumped up and went to get her shower. She emerged all clean and smelling of blueberries, that was thanks to her shampoo and body wash. She walked her room and started to braid her damp hair. When she was finished with that she looked down at the plain white skirt that stopped just short of knees and the white shirt. It was casual, yet dressy enough for the party.

She walked downstairs to find Taylor sitting at the kitchen table, eating his breakfast of Cheerios. He looked up when she came in and smiled. "Hey," he smiled as he looked her over,"you look nice."

She smiled back as she sat down and poured some cereal and milk in a bowl and grabbed a spoon,"Thanks. You don't look so bad yourself." Taylor was wearing a pair of jeans and a blue button up shirt that matched his eyes perfectly. He had the cuffs rolled up. He grinned. "I always do," he joked. She just shook her head and laughed. As they ate, they chatted about what they had been up to since Whitney had moved. Whitney got Taylor's side of fame and the music business and Taylor got caught up on Whitney's life and how moving away from Tay and his brothers had affected her and how starting over in a completely new place was hard at first. "I still miss Tulsa," she said as they walked out to Whitney's car.

"Yeah, I know how you feel. Well, sort of. I mean, I miss it when we go on tour and do promo and all that," Taylor replied.

She nodded,"Yeah. If you think how much you miss it then, think of what it's like not even being able to go back there at all."

"That would drive me crazy, not being able to live in Tulsa."

"I can't wait to move back. That's where I've always belonged."

They soon got to the place where the party was being held. They had fifteen minutes before it was scheduled to start. No one had any idea that Taylor was going to be there. Whitney hadn't gotten back to Julie about it and no one else knew he was in town.

Taylor parked and they slowly walked in. Whitney went before Taylor and Julie spotted her immediately. She ran up and hugged Whitney tightly. "I thought you weren't gonna show up," Julie exclaimed as she let go. Whitney smiled,"It's Taylor's birthday. Of course I'm not gonna miss it." Just then, everyone who had been looking at Julie and Whitney gasped at who was behind Whitney. Taylor came up beside her and flashed his famous smile that made every girl melt,"Hey everyone."

Whitney laughed at the fan's reaction and took Taylor's arm,"Well, I don't think he needs any introduction. But yeah, this is Taylor Hanson."

"Julie!" one of the girls said, wide-eyed,"why didn't you tell us he was gonna be here?!"

Taylor looked down at Whitney, clearly amused,"I just decided to pop in. I couldn't not come after my one of my best friends here, told me about this party."

When no one answered and just continued to stare, Whitney said,"Would you people quit that? You're embarrassing me. I told him you all were pretty much sane and you're proving me wrong."

Taylor snickered, but didn't say anything.

Julie came back to life,"Sorry about that Whitney. It's just you never got back to me, so I figured he wasn't coming. I'm just as shocked as everyone," then she looked up at Taylor and stuck out her hand,"Hi, I'm Julie."

He smiled down at her as he shook her hand,"Hey Julie, nice to meet you."

Then slowly the rest of the fans came up and introduced themselves.

Later on in the party after Taylor had blown out the eighteen candles, plus one to grow on, a fan, Karen, spoke up,"I feel bad Taylor. We didn't expect you to come, so we don't have any presents for you."

He just smiled,"Nah, it's okay. Just actually being able to hang with some of the fans is cool. And this party is like a present."

A couple, "Awe, that's sweet" could be heard around the table.

"So, Tay," Whitney said,"how does it feel to be eighteen?"

He shrugged,"Pretty much the same as being seventeen."

Some of the girls laughed at that.

"Oh great, so I have nothing to look forward to when I turn eighteen in June," Whitney replied.

He grinned,"Nope."

As they drove back to Whitney's house that night, Taylor said,"That was fun. I'm glad I was able to go."
Whitney looked over at him and smiled,"Me too."

About five minutes after they got home, the phone rang.

"Hello?" Whitney answered.

"Hey Whitney, it's Ike."

She smiled,"Hey Ike. How are you?"

"Oh good. I just called to let you and Tay know that Zac and I are at the airport getting a cab. We'll be there in....about twenty minutes."

"We could come get you," she offered.

"Nah, that's okay. It's quicker just to catch a cab. We'll see you two soon."

"Okay Ike. See ya soon. Bye."

"Bye."

"Bye," she heard Zac call.

She laughed as she hung up. Taylor was standing there. he raised an eyebrow,"Well? I gather that was Ike."

"Yep. Zac and him will be here in about fifteen minutes now."

He smiled,"Great. I miss them. Plus I want you guys to meet again."

"Yeah, I really want to see them. God knows how long it's been." A wistful look came over her face,"I miss those days....."

Taylor walked over and wrapped her in a hug,"So do I, Whitney, so do I."