Ch. 26: Paint It Black

Disclaimer: I do not own the lyrics used in this chapter.

I reached the address that the card had led me to. It was a large brick building, crumbling and leaning towards its neighboring structure. I looked around, there was nothing but an empty alleyway and the buildings towering around me. Hopefully, this was the right place.

I stepped up to the rusting metal door and pounded on it with my fist. I took a step back and waited patiently. For a moment, there was no response and I was worried that my dumb ass had messed up somewhere and taken a wrong turn. Just as I glanced back down at the card, the door creaked open and Coco materialized before me.

Her pearly white teeth stuck out on her chocolate features and she motioned for me to follow her. I silently obliged, closing the heavy door behind me and trailing behind her as she led me up some stairs and into a studio.

The floor was made of hardwood and there was a drumset sitting in the corner. A thin man with a beard and shaggy hair was busy reading a Time magazine behind the drums. Near him, a scrawny girl with hair so blond that it looked white was strumming lazily on her bass. An electric guitar was waiting patiently in its stand, waiting for Coco to come over and pick it up.

"Everyone, this is Little Red," Coco introduced me to the band mates before turning back to me. "Little Red, this is Aurora" the blond nodded lightly "and Troy" the drummer didn't even budge "and, together, we are Autumn's Fall."

I looked between them all and waved awkwardly. "Sweet band name."

Coco laughed and shook her head. "Little Red here says she can sing us to the top."

"I don't know about all that," I corrected her, but she ignored me.

"Let's test this, shall we?" She asked. She waited for the band to respond. Aurora just stood there, chewing her gum, and Troy seemed completely unfazed. She turned to me with a grin. "It's your call, what song you wanna' sing?"

I shrugged. "I have no preference-"

Coco shook her head. "Mm-mm, girl. Give us a song that speaks to you. We want something from the heart. Otherwise, you can walk your skinny butt right back out that door."

We stared each other down for a moment before I finally spoke. "Paint It Black."

A smile broke out across her face. She nodded, biting her lower lip as though she was holding back her excitement that hid just behind her teeth. She turned and walked to her guitar, picking it up and beginning to play the song. Almost instantly, the rest of the band went from completely dead and boring to full of energy, pouring out music from every pore.

I grabbed the microphone and began to sing.

"I see a red door and I want it painted black," I sang, pointing at my imaginary door. "No colors anymore-I want them to turn black."

I picked up the mic stand and began to bob and twirl with the music. "I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes!

I have to turn my head until my darkness goes!

I see a line of cars and they're all painted black.

With flowers and my love, both never to come back.

I see people turn their heads and quickly look away!

Like a newborn baby it just happens everyday!"

I clutched my chest and glared at nothing in particular.

"I look inside myself and see my heart is black...

I see my red door and it has been painted black.

Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts.

It's not easy facing up when your whole world is black.

No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue,

I could not forsee this thing happening to you.

If I look hard enough into the setting sun,

My love will laugh with me before the morning comes.

I see a red door and I want it painted black.

No colors anymore-I want them to turn black.

I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes!

I have to turn my head until my darkness goes!"

Hmm, hmm, hmm..." I began to hum to myself.

"I wanna see it painted-painted black!

Black as night, black as coal!

I wanna see the sun, blotted out from the sky!" I belted out.

"I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black!

Yeah!"

I began to twirl in circles, throwing my head up and down as the instruments seemed to consume me. I felt so lost in the music, that I almost didn't notice that the song was ending.

When the music finally stopped, I paused and locked eyes with Coco. I was breathing heavily and I could feel my face was hot and sweaty. She was beaming at me. All it took was her nod of approval, and I knew that we had this battle of the bands in the bag.