Chapter 4

When we broke the hug, Pony had a weird look on his face.

"What's wrong?", I asked scared.

"I can't keep hiding all this stuff from you. I love you so much Ky, I have to tell you, everything.", Pony answered.

"Pony, what are you talking about?", I asked in a serious tone.

He sighed, "C'mon let's go to my room, just in case someone woke up and over heard us." I followed him towards his room. My hands became sweaty and I was starting to shake.

"Is everything ok?", I asked.

"It is now. It's from a year ago. I feel like you need to know, but if Dally ever found I told you, he'd kill us both. Look, you never really knew the reason why Johnny killed Bob. One night, I walked with Johnny to his house, as always his parents were fighting. Johnny and I went walking and we fell asleep. When we woke up it was 2 am. I ran home and Darry, Soda, and I had a screaming match. Darry hit me and I ran out. Johnny and I ran away to the park where drunk socs tried to drown me and then Johnny killed Bob. You know the rest.", Pony explained. Half way through it he was crying.

I wrapped my arms around him, "Pony, baby, it's ok." I was in shock as well. What if Johnny didn't save him and Pony died? What if Johnny wasn't there in the first place? Those questions raced through my mind and I started to cry.

"Dallas almost died also.", Pony said.

"What?", I asked. I couldn't believe this.

"When we thought Johnny was dead, he went crazy, almost, ya know, died.", Pony didn't want to tell me that.

"Where was I during that?", I asked.

"Back here with me.", Pony answered. My own brother almost died and no one ever told me. I walked across the room.

"I had to tell you, you deserve to know.", Pony said. I shook my head trying to control my anger. I had a temper like Dallas.

"Pony, that's my brother. Why didn't you tell me sooner?", I asked. He could tell I was mad.

"Because I didn't want to be the one to tell you.", Pony answered in a low voice.

"I'm sorry, Ponyboy.", I apologized.  He looked up at me and smiled. I walked back over to where he was.

"I better get back to Darry's room before he wakes up to go to work.", Ponyboy said. I nodded in agreement. He turned around and grabbed the door knob when I stopped him.

"Ponyboy, stay gold.", I instructed smiling. He walked over to me and kissed me.

"I love you, Kyrie.", Pony said.

"I love you, too.", I replied as he snuck back in Darry's room. I crawled back into Pony's bed and turned off the light. Five minutes later, I heard a knock on the door. I turned the light back on and went towards the door. When I opened it, I saw Dallas.

"What are you doing?", I asked.

"That couch was killing me.", Dallas answered.

"Are you still drunk?", I asked concerned.

"Drunk, no. Hung over, yeah sounds more like it.", Dallas answered. He walked towards Pony's bed and plopped on it.

"Really?", I asked laughing. Dallas scooted over so I could have some room. I lied down beside my brother and turned the light off.

"Goodnight Dallas.", I said.

"Goodnight Kyrie. I-I, um, love you little sister.", Dallas responded.

"I love you, too, Dally.", I replied.  It was a rare moment whenever me and Dally say "I love you."  We're not used to any of that so when you hear those three words come from Dallas Winston, you best believe he means them.

I woke up at like 10:30 am. I looked over and Dallas was gone. I got up and went into the living room. All the boys were huddled in front of the T.V. All except Darry, who was at work, Pony and Johnny, who was in the kitchen eating.

"Hey, Ky.", Johnny said, passing me the cereal. "Why are you wearing Pony's clothes?"

"I wasn't expecting to spend the night, so I didn't bring any clothes.", I answered. I told the truth. Most of the time I slept in my day clothes, though. No one knew about me and Pony and I have no idea when we would tell them.

"Pony, you're being silent all of a sudden.", Johnny pointed out.

"Nah, I'm just eating.", Pony replied. He glared at me and I smiled at him. I got my cereal and sat down in between Johnny and Pony.

"Ya'll wanna ride down to the DX and hang out down there?", Soda asked.

"Yeah, that'd be fun.", I answered.

"When ya'll get through just meet us there.", Soda said walking out the door. I finished my one and only bowl of cereal, as Pony and Johnny were scarfing down their third or fourth bowl. I put everything in the sink and walked into Pony's room. I grabbed my jeans and slid them on. I planned on leaving Pony's shirt on, so it won't be too obvious I was wearing the same clothes. I took my hair out of the braid and played with it a little until it looked good. 

I walked back into the kitchen, as Johnny and Ponyboy were throwing their bowls in the sink.

"Hey, ya'll know where Dally went?", I asked.

"No, he just said he was going out.", Pony answered. He walked over and threw his arm around my shoulders, at the same time Johnny turned and saw.

"Dude, that's a first.", Johnny said.

"Of what?", Pony asked.

"That you put your arm around Kyrie and she didn't hit you.", Johnny answered. Ponyboy and I just stared up at each either.

"Should we tell him?", I asked. Pony nodded.

"Johnny, Kyrie and I are going out.", Pony blurted. Johnny's eyes lit up.

"Are you serious?", Johnny asked.

"Yeah, we're serious.", I answered.

"Ok, give it up. I know you guys aren't really dating.", Johnny said.

"No, we are.", I reassured.

"Prove it, kiss each other.", Johnny dared. I smiled and we both leaned in and then Pony and I kissed.

"Believe us now?", Pony asked.

"How long have this been going on?", Johnny asked.

"Last night.", I answered. It took fifteen minutes for Pony and Johnny to get ready. Once they were finished we headed to the DX.

Half way there we saw a cop car fly by with their sirens on.

"Wonder what that's about.", I said.

"Probably some greaser vs. soc fight.", I suggested. We finally made it to the DX and that same cop was there. When I walked in Soda pointed straight at me, while talking to the officer. I felt my hands get sweaty when the cop began to approach me.

"You Kyrie Winston?", the cop asked.

"Yeah, and you are?", I asked back.

"Officer Elliot, Let's step outside for a minute, alone.", he suggested. I followed him outside terrified.

"So, what's up, Elliot?", I asked.

"Might wanna lose that smart mouth, grease.", Officer Elliot instructed. I rolled my eyes. Cops got on my nerves.

"We have your brother, Dallas Winston in custody. We pulled him over for swerving and reckless driving. He stopped and got out of his vehicle and took off running. So, we arrested him.", he explained.

"What!?", I yelled.

"Ma'am we'll have to place you in a home for girls if Dallas don't get out. For right now, you can stay with a friend or relative. If Mr. Winston doesn't get released your family or friend could adopt you, if not it's girls home for you.", he said. My knees got weak. A girls home? Dally's in jail? I could lose my brother? Ponyboy and the rest of the gang, too? I felt my self get light headed. Out of no where I passed out.