CHAPTER 1-Beginnings

Growing up I used to read books about princesses and how this Prince will come on a fine steed to rescue the princess in distress. I always believed my prince would one day come to my rescue... Then I grew up and realised no prince would ever rescue me, I had to be my own hero because you can never count on people.

My thoughts are interrupted by the sound of my alarm,even though I was up before my thoughts consumed me, I grab my cellphone and switch it off then get up to shower. Today marks my first day in the professional world,well my marketing degree requires I do six months of in-service training in order to graduate and I'm hoping I get a permanent position at this firm as it is one of the top firms in this country. Growing up I didn't have much so I studied hard and had part-time jobs on the side.
I hurry up and get dressed in black knee length pencil skirt and a white shirt and black flat pumps (I hate heels), I tie my afro in a top bun powder my face and I am out of the door as I'm doing my lipstick. I have to be early in order to stand a chance against all the other interns so I get granted the position.

I hurry down the street ,which is booming with morning traffic and people all rushing to different places like a herd of ants, I am just in time for the bus (thankfully) and ride till I get off the big building of Brown advertising. I feel the butterflies began to flutter in my tummy, I fix my composure and walk in the rotating doors.

I am greeted by the colourful reception area and the receptionist Sindy greets me with a smile.
"Hello Luthando, ready for the first day?" , she asks politely. "I'm a bit nervous", I admit shyly. " Oh come on you already aced the interview don't worry you will be fine, follow me to the conference room where you and the other interns will be briefed". I nod and follow behind her taking in how amazing she looks with he black slim fitting dress, red bottom black stilettos and a really expensive looking weave framing her face, I feel so under dressed. We walk in the conference room and I notice the other two interns are already there (now I feel like I am late even though I am on time), I greet them and take a seat and Sindy walks out leaving me with the two. They both seem to be around my age 22, one is a female who looks like she just jumped out of Vogue and the other is a guy with that boy next door smart casual look. "I am Erin" the guy holds out his hand. "Luthando" I say with a coy smile(human interaction is not my thing). The Vogue girl looks at me up an down and turns away uninterested. "She's Mia" he says and I just nod. I am hoping he won't talk some more and thankfully the door opens and I am left in awe...

This God-like guy walks in followed by a posh model-like female. "Hi, I am Mr Bloom and I'm the owner of the company. I was away on business and I trust my employees chose the best for the internships". Wait he his the "Bloom"? He couldn't be over 30. I'm busy drooling that I'm brought to reality by Erin poking me on the side. "So?" Mr Bloom asks me. I look at him dumbfounded hoping he repeats the question. I see him clench his jaw and say "Please leave the room and wait outside since you are not focused, I do not have time to waste on incompetent people!". I shamefully get up and go sit in the reception area.