CHAPTER 8-Assistant

We need to talk... In my experience those words always lead to bad news. I put down my spoon and brace myself for what he is about to say.

"...about your internship."
"Please! I really need it in order to graduate..."
"I am fully aware of that but..."
"I will make up for the lost time and I can be back at work tomorrow. Please!"
"You have already lost out on so many days and the Doctor said you need to take it easy for a week or two,which is more days lost."
"Please don't fire me, I really need this", I plea. He takes a deep breath and thinks for a moment. "Fine I guess under the circumstances you got injured we can overlook the days you have missed, for the days you are here you can be my assistant." I look at him puzzled, "You will plan my diary,schedule meetings, do some typing for me and stuff like that. You will do all these things while you at home and once you are better you can resume at the office". I was so overjoyed that at least my life won't be delayed.

We finished the rest of the dinner in silence. I got up to clear the table, " Don't do that, Linda will do it". I was stunned, I have never had the life where a mai cleaned up after me and frankly I love doing stuff myself. "Its OK I'll do it", I say as I head for the sink with the dishes. He doesn't protest but instead he gets up and leaves the room. As I am finishing up Linda walks in. "Oh dear you shouldn't have cleaned up, that's what I am here for". I smile and say," I really don't mind, its the least I can do after you prepared such a lovely meal". "Thank you dear", with she helps me finish up. We are in a comfortable silence till she says, "You know you are different from Blooms other girlfriends, I like you".
"Oh no no!, I am not his girlfriend,I'm just an intern"
"He sure is going through a lot of trouble for "just an intern" don't you think?. And besides I have seen the way he looks at you."

I was left at a loss of words so I excused myself and went back to the room. Why was he doing all of this for me? I sure as hell had nothing to give him in return, I had to leave in the morning. I could survive on my own. I found a set of pyjamas on the bed, I was glad they weren't his. I shuddered at the thought that maybe they belonged to his "girlfriends", I noticed Linda had used a plural which confirmed that he was definitely a player. I chucked the p.j's aside and climbed into bed, I was already feeling drowsy when I heard a soft knock on the door. "Come in", I called expecting Linda but instead he walked in.

"Sorry to disturb your sleep, I'll be brief. I got people to help you move your stuff from your old apartment".
"What? Why? "
"You are staying here now"
"Its only temporary and besides an affordable place is hard to find. I am moving back there tomorrow anyways."
"That place is not safe!, you will stay here."
"I can take care of myself, I ..."
"Last I checked you are not bulletproof"
"I'll be more careful then"
"You're staying end of discussion, besides you need to stay here in order to be my assistant". With that he walked out of the room. I wanted to scream.

I really did not like the idea of having to live here.