Chapter Fourteen

J A D E ' S  P O V

"That sounds so romantic," Perrie gushes, then lightly slaps Jesy. "Why don't you do any of that stuff for me?"

"I'm not a hopeless romantic like you bozos," Jesy scoffed.

"Well at least we have a heart," Perrie says, I don't think they're play fighting anymore.

"Girls, calm your farms. Anyway, when we were watching the stars, I asked her to be my girlfriend."

"Aw, Jade! You guys are my serious OTP!" Perrie smiles.

"Ugh, you girls make me want to throw up."

"Jes, what's gotten into to you today?" Perrie says, grabbing Jesy's hand. She just lets out a huff of air and stares at the bench.

"Some people at the school are really giving the LGBT+ community a tough time and I'm just worried about Leigh-Anne. She already gets pushed around a lot," Jesy says, her eyes not leaving the table.

"Speaking of, where is she?" Perrie questions and tilts her head to the side.

"She's was having some anxiety problems this morning and had to go into the doctors to get them checked out," I say, my voice filled with concern and worry, "It's been happening a lot. Even on our date, she was on the verge of a panic attack. And when I went to her house to meet up with her, I was listening to her mum and Sian-Louise talking about how they think she's depressed."

The happy expressions on Perrie and Jesy's faces had disappeared and were replaced with looks of worry.

"Are you going to to see her?" Jesy questioned.

"Yeah, after school," I reply.

I was secretly scared. My cousin had depression and he has attempted suicide twice. What if Leigh tries to do something like that? Okay, slow down, I don't even know if it is depression.

"You a'ight Jade?" Perrie asks, making me jump.

"Just deep in thought," I shrug my shoulders.

"Everything is going to be okay, Jade. Leigh-Anne is a strong girl. She's gone through so much and is still here today. Just have some faith in her," Jesy says, trying to reassure me.

Just as Perrie opened her mouth the bell sounded and we all got up and gathered our things together. We went our separate ways to go to our classes. I brushed the hair out of my face and gave them a quick 'goodbye' and hurried to roll-mark.

My heart stopped when I walked in the room to see Zayn standing at my desk with an evil look on his stupid face. I wasn't scared of him. Maybe a little? I suck in a deep breath and walked past Zayn and sat in my desk.

"Oi, Thirlwall," he says as he turns to face me.

I say nothing and keep looking forward, hopefully he'll just leave me alone if I ignore him.

"I'm talking to you," his beady eyes staring into my own.

Again, I say nothing and sigh. Zayn slams his fist on the table, making me jump and making all the noise in the classroom stop.

"You can't ignore me forever," he spat and stormed to his seat.

A huff of air escapes my nose and I placed my head on my desk. What have I got myself into?

***
I walked up the front steps to Leigh-Anne's house. She has something important to tell me and I'm nervous that it's about the doctors appointment.  I hesitantly knock on the door and a few seconds in flung open and Sarah was standing there. Her face was puffy and red, like she had been crying.

"She's in her room," she said quietly and stepped aside to let me in.

I thanked her and wondered upstairs to her bedroom. I stood at her door for a solid thirty-seconds, debating if I should go in or leave her and her family to have some time. Finally, I brought myself to raise my hand and knock on the door.

"Yep," I all I heard from the other side of the door so I opened to see Leigh-Anne sitting at her desk writing.

"Hey, how are you?" I ask, setting down my school bag on her bed.

Leigh-Anne sighed and spun around in her chair to face me. She rested her elbows on her thighs.

"Leigh, is everything okay?" I asked, concerned.

"I've been diagnosed with depress-"she stops herself from talking and breaks down in tears.

"Leigh," I say softly, shuffling over to her and kneel down beside her, placing my hand on her thigh, "it's okay to cry."

I wrap my arms around her waist and hug her, letting her tears fall. We stayed like that for a longtime. She had stopped sobbing but I think she needed someone there for her.

I couldn't quite shake the feeling like it was my fault. I did leave her for her bullies and blamed her for something she didn't even do.

"I'm sorry," I said, breaking the silence that had engulfed us for a good ten minutes.

"Don't be," she says, her head hung low.

I untangled my arms that were wrapped around her and grabbed her hands.

"We'll get through this. Together," I say, flashing her a smile.

Leigh-Anne didn't say anything, she just nods. Tears slid down her cheeks again and I wiped them away with the pad of my thumb. I put a finger under her chin and bring it up so her eyes are level with my own.

"You're strong. You're the strongest girl I know. You can and you will get through this. I believe in you, okay?" I say, my eyes searching her face for the slightest smile.

"Okay," she closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, then opens them again and smiles.

My fake smile senses are tingling but I don't give her shit right now. I peck her lightly on her lips.

"Do you want to watch a movie? Or we can go out bowling. Anything to make you happy," I smile.

"Actually..." Leigh starts and rubs the back of her neck, "I just want to be alone for now. Surely, you'll understand."

Leigh-Anne gets up from her chair and moves to the bed. I feel a sting of hurt but I understand.

"Of course Leigh. See you tomorrow," I say and pick up my school bag and swing it around my shoulders.

I walk towards the door but then look back. She already had her nose deep in a book. I bite my lip and sigh. I turn around and open the door and hesitantly walk out of the door.

*
*
*
I'm slowly loosing reads lol