Chapter Nineteen

J A D E S  P O V

Tick, tock, tick, tock, the clock was the only thing I could focus on. Home economics was usually my favorite class but it wasn't as pleasant when Leigh-Anne wasn't here to make jokes about our teacher. She'd gone into her rabbit hole again, she's had three days off this week and barely answers my texts or calls. I haven't seen her since we dropped her home from our beach getaway late Sunday afternoon.

Every time my phone buzzed I picked it up with lightning speed, hoping that is was Leigh-Anne but that was barely the case. Finally the bell rung, letting me out of the home economics room.

I quickly shoved my notebook into my bag and hurried towards my Modern History class with Jesy and unfortunately, Zayn. When I arrived, I quickly found my way to my seat. I watched the door for Jesy too come in, hopefully before Zayn. Unlucky for me, as if right on cue, Zayn walks through the door with an evil grin painted on his face.

"Hey, faggot," Zayn laughs as he walks past me.

"What did you just say to me?" I say through grit teeth, my blood was boiling. I turned around to face him.

"A faggot. F-a-g-g-o-t," he spelled out, taking his seat behind me.

"Do it again, I dare you," I say, my fists clenching with anger, I could feel my nails digging into my skin but I didn't care.

Just as Zayn opened his mouth, the history teacher walked in. I roll my eyes and let out a huff of anger. I turned to the front to watch Jesy quickly hurry through the door, avoiding Mr Cambelle's eyesight. I was so angry, I didn't bother to mumble a hello to her, angry Jade Thirlwall was definitely not a good Jade Thirlwall to be around.

"Jade Thirlwall is a dyke," Zayn said to one of his friends behind me.

I have had enough with that wanker. He had pushed me over the edge and I was not going to have it. Before thinking, I stood up quickly from my seat, making my desk topple over. Everyone's eyes were glued to me.

"Ms Thirlwall what do you th-" I cut off Mr Cambelle's words.

"I swear to god Zayn Malik, I will take the stick from your ass and beat you with it. Don't you ever call me anything that is close to homophobic. Do I make myself clear?" I yelled at him, I was inches from his desk. He doesn't respond, making me ever more angry than I was, if that was possible. I grab his collar with angst and repeat myself, "Do I make myself clear."

"Y-yes," he stammered.

I let go of her collar and kick his desk. I turned around to see Jesy's mouth hung wide open. Even the teacher was speechless, although I did see a hint of a smirk on his face.

"Hell yeah! Go Thirlwall!" A boy called from the back of the class.

Smiling from my accomplishment, I take a quick bow before sitting back in my seat. The next fifty minutes dragged on slowly but we were finally allowed out for lunch. I quickly shove all my belongings into my bag and hurry towards the door so Zayn wouldn't get a chance to get to me. My feet hurried me out to the courtyard were the group usually sat. I took a seat on the bench and pulled out my lunch. Jesy came running over to me, she was breathless like she ran the whole way here.

"That... was... amazing," Jesy said in between wheezes.

"Why were you running?" I questioned but that question was already answered when I saw a familiar dark-headed boy, walk up behind her.

The whole courtyard fell silent. Every step he took closer to me, made my heart beat faster and louder.

"You think you can embarrass me in front of my friends and classmates and get away with it?" His words slipped from his lips, making my stomach drop.

My mouth had dried up. I tired to speak but nothing came out.

"Speak," his voice was rough, "Scared now that there isn't a teacher to save you or a student to praise you?"

Zayn's rough fingers grabbed my shirt and pulled me up my sport. My eyes fell on Jesy, her eyes were filled with sadness and sympathy. I felt his hot breath on my face.

"I think you've bitten off more than you can chew, Thirlwall," Zayn's voice was like nails on a chalkboard.

With a blink of an eye, his fist swung at my face. I let out a yelp of pain as he punched again. Why was nobody helping or doing anything? Well probably because their smart and don't mess with people like Zayn Malik. Her pushed me back to my seat and strut away.

It was only when he walked away that I realized my nose was bleeding. My cheek was throbbing and I felt like I was going to faint.

"Jade! Jade! I'm so sorry! I should have done something. I was just so sca-" I silenced her.

"You didn't have to do anything. I'm just going to the bathroom to clean up," I say, picking up my bag and swing it around my shoulders, still holding my hand over my nose.

I quickly found my way to the nearest bathroom. I grabbed a paper towel and started to dab it under my nose where the blood was leaking out. My nose was throbbing from pain. I felt hot tears well up in my eyes as I stared at myself in the mirror.

All my trash talk was just exactly that. Talk. I could never prove my words with actions. I'd always jerk up the courage to say something but when I'm confronted about it, I became a coward.

As I let out a huff of air, I dried my tears from my cheeks. If only Leigh-Anne were here.

---
A/N: I hope you guys are liking my frequent updates, I don't know when school is going to get hectic so I'm trying to update as much as possible.