Chapter 28

Ace's pov.

I inhale the acrid smoke, slowly letting it circle within my lungs. Then I exhale, deliberately letting the smoke blow into my face and cling to my hair.

The damp gras cooles my shirt as I lie on the ground at the edge of the forest, glad that no one is left awake.

My thoughts begin to tumble as the weed kicks in.

I remember the distant memory from earlier.

Love.

I remember it. Yes I do. Damn fools game it is.

I close my eyes and suddenly I'm watching my memory. The memory. The one I've tried so hard to forget.

It happened when I was fourteen.

Stephanie. That was her name. Caramel hair and chocolate skin. Emerald eyes. So beautiful.

She was the first. The first one I began thinking of when I went to bed or when I woke up. The one I dreamt of. The one I first imagined and then longed to kiss, longed to hold her.

And I did. I did kiss her. I did hold her. I brought her roses, I was a sweet and love sick fool.

I gave her all I could.

I loved her.

I'd laugh at any joke, I'd cry at the end of sad love stories.

I was mad.

But I didn't care that I was acting a fool. She was mine and that was all that mattered.

Then one day I arrived an hour early at her house.

Her parents weren't home, no one answered the unlocked door. But I knew that Stephanie was home, she'd told me so herself that morning. She said she was dozing through the day.

When I reached her door I heard moans. I instantly knew that they weren't moans of pain. More like fucking pleasure.

I barged in, pulled the off her, and beat the shit out of him until he lay unconciously on the floor.

I still remember the fear and displeasure at what I'd done and just plane me. But no guilt. Not a drop.

The disgust, the hurt, the hate, the feeling of breaking into millions of particles so small, that all I resembled was dust.

I remember storming from her house, throwing somebody's bike out of my way and breaking into a run towards a dark forest.

Never again was I stupid enough to be love sick. Never again cheesy grins and red roses.

Never again love.

I became cold, heartless and the perfect definition of a player.

I'd forgotten the tingles that travelled through your body as you kissed. I was glad with just banging hot fake blonds with big chests and ample curves.

But then fucking Vanessa Brinkly had to come along.

And remind me that I was still capable of falling.