Chapter 35

Ace's Pov.

I lean against a tree by the side of the lake, the same tree Vanessa and I were sitting under earlier.

A loving smile touches my lips 1as I remember how sad Vanessa was for my sister.
Vanessa is way more amazing than I first expected.

I scan the crowed and try to spot Vanessa.
Where is she?

A girl in a floaty black dress walks into my view, visibly searching the crowed for somebody. She's beautiful.
Vanessa.

My chest tightens and I watch her wander between the drunken teens, searching for me.
I should go over to her and show myself. But right now I just want to watch her beautiful figure walk around. She looks gorgeous in the dress. It's a little too girly for her, but it makes her look beautiful.

I push off from the tree to head over to her.

Suddenly a thin arm raps around my neck and pulls me back.

"Acey-wacey," Katy coes at me, running her lips along my jaw line. Her touch makes me feel sick.

"Get off me Katy," I snap at her, trying to pull away. I don't want to physically  hurt her. Because I don't hit girls. Other than Vanessa of course. But she was an exception and she did  start it all. Even though my attitude didn't help much, I guess....

Katy clings to me, like her life depends on it.
"You know you want me," she whispers, pressing her body against mine.

I push her hips away from me.
"No Katy, I don't want you. Leave me alone."

I try to get away, but before I can stop her she clamps her mouth over mine. Her lips are like an octopusses sucker. Disgusting.

I try to throw her off of me, but this girl has got surprising clinging strengths.

Suddenly there's a loud, audible gasp from behind us, and at last Katy pulls back, a victorious smile on her lips.

I turn around and see Vanessa staring at us, her eyes fi
lling with tears that she's hastily trying to brush away.

Katy planned this. That evil bitch.

"Vanessa, it's not what you think!" I exclaim, running to her. But she's already turned around and is jogging away from me.
No. No, this can't happen. Please no.

I run after her, shouting her name.
"Vanessa wait! Please! Let me explain!"

She doesn't trun around. She just keeps on running.

Suddenly she bumps into a grill and it spills over. Hot coals spill across the dry grass, instantly catching fire. Within seconds there are high flames burning across the grass, creeping up the near by trees.

****

Vanessa's Pov.

I watch horror as the flames rapidly beginn to spread towards the cabins.

Fuck. Everyone is running to their cabin, screaming, trying to get their things.

I race to my cabin, forgetting Ace and how he cheated on me. Lana, Nina and Silvia are already in the cabin, throwing their things into their bags.
I follow suit and gather all of my things in a matter of seconds.

Slinging our bags over our shoulders, the four of us rush out of the cabin.
Two of the cabins are on fire, burning so wildly that they don't seem saveable.

The camp workers are busy trying to extinguish the fire, but their efforts are futile.

All teenagers are stood in the middle of the clearing, screaming and shouting, clutching their bags and belongings.
No one seems to know what to do.

I know we can't stay anywhere near the camp though. If we, we're either going to die from the smoke, or get burnt to death.

"Come on!" I shout to everyone, and head out into the forest.

I try to find the way that I cane along weeks ago, when my dad first dropped me off here.

Surprisingly, everyone follows my lead.

I hope one of the camp workers has called for help. I feel aweful about what I've done. It was an accident, but still...
A tear runs down my cheek as I think of Ace kissing Katy. I hate him. How could I ever fall in love with him!?

At last I find the right path, and we all gather onto the clearing.

Suddenly there's the loud beating of propelers, and dozens of helicopters appear out of the night. Some of them fly past us and we can see them squirt water down onto the forest behind us.

The other helicopters throw down ladders for us, and there's a scramble as everyone climbs up the shaking ladders.

In movies actors make climbing helicopter ladders look easy, but shit it's hard.

Lana, Nina, Silvia and I climb into a helicopter together. Two other campers climb in with us.

Then the helicopter zooms off, taking us back to society.
And taking me away from a bad memory.

------
Only one chapter left to go!

PLEASE VOTE, SHARE AND COMMENT!

LOOK, I DON'T GET ANYTHING FOR WRITING THIS STORY. I JUST DO IT BECAUSE HOPE IT WILL MAKE SOEMBODY HAPPY. SO PLEASE MAKE ME HAPPY TOO AND VOTE! ❤

Btw. I'm planning my next next book.
It's going to be a boy next door romance.😏