Chapter 7

I looked at him with wide eyes as he blankly looked at me. Why is he here? He must want to come back home now. I don't think he is welcome here anymore.

"Dad?" I asked slowly hopping off the stool at the island. He looked disheveled and tired. He had bags under his eyes. He was glaring at me without a word. What happened to him? His arm were bruised up probably from drugs.

My dad slowly approached me with an unreadable expression on his face. "What are you doing home? Who is he? Why is he in my house?" I looked back at Mason then at my dad.

"This is not your house." I said looking at him. Eye to cold hearted eye.

"Answer me." I rolled my eyes stiffly as I was starting to consider what happened to me.

"Well, I got a doorknob smashed into my eye. Since, mom is at work Mason gave me a ride home. Nothing else." I said trying to reassure him. He still approached me with an angry rage.

"Sir, I was just here to help her." Mason said. His voice sounded still and calm. Almost as if he wasn't scared at all. On the other hand.....I was.

"Touch my daughter and I will break your legs. I can promise you I will." He threatened trying to be dad of the year. I flinched at how serious and deadly his voice was. I looked at Mason.

"You can go. I will take care of my dad." He didn't look sure. I am not even sure if I want to stay in the house with my dad. He left out my back door and I started to go back to my dad.

I turned around and looked at my dad. "Where the hell have you been? Mom has been crying and sad and you don't even bother to pick up the phone!" I yelled at him.

"I just came here to get my stuff." I looked at him. He was now so calm as if nothing happened at all. Like nothing is making my life a living, breathing, hell.

"Why won't you come home? You're my dad. I still need you." He approached me.

"You sound as needy as your mother." I stood there as the words started swimming through my head. Needy?

"Because, I need you. Five years dad! You left because you needed a break. A fucking break in the army!"

"I needed a break to get better Tess. If I stayed I would be dead Tess!"

"You are just as good as dead to me dad. What's more important? Drugs or your family!" I yelled. Tears were falling down my face. Which ultimately stung my swollen eye. I flinched in pain as it started getting worse.

"I am not well Tess."

"Don't play that bullshit on me. You left saying the same damn thing to mom. Don't say the same thing to me. Give me a real explanation of why you won't come home." He wiped his face with his hands. He looked aggravated.

"I do not want to be here. I do not want to take care of you. I do not want to be a part of this got damn family. I just don't."

"But-"

"I don't care. I just don't care."

"What about mom. She has been waiting for you to come home for a long time. How could you do this to her?" I asked.

"I am doing it becasue I need to."

"You don't need to do drugs dad."

"I do need it. It helps me."

"We can help you. That is what family is for."

"No, you can't. If you know what I have been through then you will understand." I don't really think I want to understand.