Chapter Four

"Look, there's no way I'm getting on that thing with you." Daryl argued.

Paul had found a motorcycle, with plenty of gasoline and the keys still in it, by some grace of god. But here they were, fighting because Daryl didn't want to ride a motorcycle with him.

"Daryl, come on. We aren't going to find anything better than this. We need to get back to the others." He said, exasperated. "Are you really that scared to sit close to me for a few hours?"

"We can walk." Daryl snapped.

"It's dark! We'll have to stop for the night if we walk!" Jesus protested.

"Then let's stop." Daryl said, refusing to budge on the issue.

He turned and started walking away, making it clear that there was no room for argument.

Paul kicked a rock, annoyed, before sulking after him.

******

It wasn't long before they stumbled upon an abandoned hunting cabin.

Paul shook his head in amazement. He couldn't believe their luck today. There were only two walkers in the cabin, and it had contained two guns and a few cans of food.

He was a little suspicious of their good luck, but he couldn't find any reason for them to leave.

Daryl went off to explore the small cabin, unsurprisingly restless. He came back a few moments later, a smirk on his face. He held up two bottles of whisky, and handed one over to Jesus. It was the first time Jesus had seen him smile all week, and it make his heart pound just a little faster than usual.

"It's our lucky day." Daryl announced, though it came off as somewhat sarcastic.

Or maybe everything Daryl said just came off as sarcastic.

"Yeah, our lucky day. Besides being kidnapped, tortured, and having to sort through body parts and corpses."

Daryl's smirk faded, and Paul knew he was thinking about Carol. He was surprised that Daryl already cared for Carol so much. Maybe he just cared for everyone, and just didn't like to show it.

Paul frowned and patted the seat on the couch next to him. Daryl stood awkwardly next to the couch, swaying on his feet. Paul suddenly realized how much blood he had lost today, and stiffened with concern.

"Sit down." He commanded. "You look exhausted."

"I'm fine." Daryl grumbled, though he sat down next to Jesus anyway.

Jesus raised his bottle of whisky and shot him a small smile.

"To lucky days?" He asked.

Daryl nodded slightly, and raised his own bottle, before taking a sip of the burning alcohol.

Jesus mirrored his movements, and Daryl laughed a little when he made a face after drinking the whisky.

"Too strong for you?" He teased.

Paul shrugged.

"Actually, yes. I'm not even ashamed to admit it, I'm a wine person." He took another sip, and it tasted a little better than the first.

Daryl shook his head.

"You gotta take what you can get now." He muttered.

Jesus laughed.

"Oh, believe me, I'll take it. I needed this."

Daryl nodded and took another sip.

"Yeah. Me too."