Chapter Eighteen

Jesus sat at the guard tower, drowsily watching the area around him. His fingers were numb, and he doubted he could shoot anything from the guard tower even if he wanted to.

It was mind numbingly boring sitting at the guard tower alone, and he missed the days when he'd keep watch with Daryl back at Alexandria.

It was around midnight, and he rubbed his eyes sleepily. He was usually wide awake at midnight, but it was always harder to stay alert when you had to. He doubted that any danger would fall upon the group, especially at this time of night, but it was better safe than sorry.

****

Daryl stared out the window, desperately wishing he could sleep. He had grown used to Paul being there whenever he had nightmares, and it was odd not having the other man next to him.

There was a draft coming from the window, and Daryl shivered. He wondered if Paul was cold, and what he was thinking about.

He thought about joining Paul outside, but decided against it.

He peered out the window and could vaguely make out Paul's outline against the shadows.

Sighing, he turned away from the window. He was about to get into bed when there was a knock at the door.

Daryl debated ignoring it. After all, it was late. He eventually decided to answer it, since it could be important.

He swung open the door, and found Rick standing in the empty hallway.

Daryl was struck by how tired he looked. He had grown his beard out, and it was completely grey. His eyes had bags under them, and his posture was poor.

"I hope I didn't wake you." Rick said.

Daryl shook his head.

"Nah. What is it?"

"There's something I need you to come see..."

Rick looked vaguely uncomfortable, and Daryl shifted nervously.

"Sure." He responded.

Daryl followed Rick to a door that had been previously locked.

"I got Jesus to pick the locks." Rick explained. "I wanted to see what was behind the door."

He opened the door, revealing a set of stairs leading into darkness. Rick stepped aside, and let Daryl go first.

The further Daryl went down the stairs, the worse it began to smell.

Frowning, he looked at Rick for an explanation, but Rick said nothing.

At the bottom of the stairs, Rick took a deep breath and turned on a flashlight.

Daryl gagged.

Hundreds of bodies lay across the floor, In a rotting, decaying mess.

"I recognize this place..." Daryl said quietly. "Neagan kept Paul and I chained to one of those rooms over there. But there weren't any bodies last time..."

Rick looked slightly green.

"What should we do about this? It would take forever to move all the bodies, but if we don't, the whole place will start to smell soon. And I don't think finding another place to stay is really an option..."

Daryl ran his hands through his hair, thinking.

"Has anyone else seen this?" He asked.

Rick shook his head.

"No."

Daryl looked around the room at the bodies.

"We're gonna have to move them, I guess."