Chapter Eight

"What did you just say?" Daryl asked, face pale.

Jesus felt like he was choking. It was getting harder to breathe.

"You heard me." He sputtered.

"No, I didn't. "

Someone in the crowd screamed,

"KILL HIM ALREADY."

Daryl flinched.

Out of the corner of his eye, Jesus could see Michonne swaying close to the governor. She was walking towards him, completely unnoticed by the crowd as they watched Jesus and Daryl.

"Daryl." Jesus said, through clenched teeth. "I have a plan. You need to fight me. I think Michonne is going to do something."

The pressure on is neck lessened a little, and Daryl's eyes darted to Michonne. He nodded, ever so slightly.

Jesus took that moment to shove Daryl, as hard as he could. Daryl stumbled back, and Jesus picked up his knife.

The crowd went wild.

Michonne's eyes were unfocused, and she glared at the governor, continuing to inch forward a little.

Jesus needed to buy them time. He took a deep breath, and tackled Daryl to the ground. He straddled his body, pinning him so he couldn't move.

"Sorry..." He muttered.

He raised his knife, acting like he was going to stab Daryl. Daryl's eyes went wide.

"Fight me." He hissed. "I won't hurt you."

Daryl rolled, so their positions were flipped, and Daryl was on top. Jesus winced as he felt his wrist crack, and he accidentally cut Daryl's face as they were moving. Daryl cringed slightly, blood dripping down his face.
He silently willed Michonne to hurry. He couldn't keep this up for much longer.

Michonne took a deep breath. Everything was blurry. She was right next to the governor. He was watching Daryl and Jesus, grinning madly.
She moved closer. She looked at his neck. It was exposed. A crazy idea formed in her mind. He started to turn around, and she lurched forward, biting his neck as hard as she could. He screamed as blood filled her mouth. She could hear the terrified screams of the crowd. Gun shots were fired. She swayed. The governor pushed her away. She stumbled to the ground. She could see Jesus and Daryl running towards her, as her head hit the ground.

The crowd was beginning to start running, terrified. Their entertainment had never... fought back before! The guards desperately tried to calm everyone down. Panicked screams filled the ring. Daryl had stabbed a guard in the shoulder and took his gun, shoving the knife into his pocket.

He threw the gun to Jesus, who caught it with ease. How many times had they fought together, he wondered. Far too many, but they certainly trusted each other, so maybe it was a good thing.

"Take It and cover me! I'll grab Michonne!" Daryl called.

Daryl scooped Michonne up, and they were running.

"The basement!" Jesus yelled. "Our weapons are in there!"

The guards had disarmed them and tied them up earlier, but they had left their weapons in plain sight, sitting on a table across the room from them.

Daryl and Jesus ran to the basement.

"Leave Michonne here." Jesus said. "We need to find the others. She should be safe here."

Daryl looked like he wanted to argue, but he laid her down anyway. Jesus handed him his crossbow, and grabbed their bags and his gun.

"What are you gonna do with two guns?" Daryl asked.