Chapter Nineteen

Jesus walked through his new house slowly, taking in all the details. He was thrilled to have large kitchen again, he loved to cook.

He poked his head into the master bedroom. It had a closet already filled with clothes, and he wondered how Deanna had arranged all of it.

He grabbed a pair of jeans and a white button up before heading to the bathroom. It had been so long since he had taken a hot shower...

He turned the water on, and stripped off his dirty clothes.

Sighing in contentment, he stood under the hot water, letting it pound against his back.

Yes, he had missed Alexandria.

****

Daryl sat in his living room, looking around him. He had never owned a house this nice.

It felt so... wrong. He didn't need a house with 3 bedrooms. He didn't need a nice house in the suburbs. He didn't *deserve* that.

He glanced out the living room window and looked at Paul's house. He wondered what Paul was doing.

He hadn't checked out the rest of the house yet, and he supposed he should.

Groaning, he forced himself off the couch and up the stairs. The carpet felt weird underneath his feet. He had grown used to cement.

Daryl checked out the three bedrooms before deciding which one he wanted. It all felt very surreal. He opened the closet to find it full of vests and ripped jeans, all in his size. Raising an eyebrow, he shut the door. How long had Aaron been watching all of them? Long enough to know his style and size, apparently.

Daryl left the room and entered the bathroom across the hall. He scowled when he turned on the light. There were rubber ducks everywhere. They were on the shower curtains, on the rugs, on the toothbrush holder. Everywhere. He looked wearily at the shower. He shouldn't shower. It was a waste of water. He'd just get dirty again. But it had been so long, and he felt grimy and gross.

Giving in, he pulled back the shower curtain. He looked longingly at the soap and shampoo.

Hating himself, he turned on the water. He waited until the bathroom was filled with steam before stepping in. He closed his eyes, letting the water wash away all the blood and dirt.

He scrubbed himself thoroughly, and felt ten times better after stepping out of the shower. Daryl grabbed a towel and wrapped it around his waist. He shook his head, water droplets flying from his hair.

There was a knock at the door. Sighing, he went downstairs, fully expecting it to be Rick.

He opened the door and paused. It wasn't Rick. It was a younger woman, standing there with a dazzling smile. Her smile vanished as soon as she saw Daryl. Her jaw dropped a little as her eyes traveled down his body.

Her eyes darted back to his face, and she looked slightly embarrassed.

"Oh, um, Hi. I didn't mean to disturb you. I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jessie. I live a few houses down. Since you're my new neighbor, i thought I should get to know you? I used to be a cosmetologist. Do you want a hair cut?" She rambled, looking at Daryl's stringy hair.

"Um.." Daryl mumbled, thrown off guard.

He was about to say no, when she stepped inside.

"You need a haircut. Sit down."

Daryl found himself being pushed into a kitchen chair while Jessie pulled a few things out of her purse.

Grabbing a comb and scissors, she went to work.