Chapter Six

"I found s'more supplies..." Maggie called softly to Carl.

Carl glanced up, dark circles under his eyes. He wasn't sleeping well lately, not that anyone really was.

Maggie tried not to shudder as Carl stared at her, his eyes dead.

"I thought we could sit outside tonight. Have a campfire?" She asked.

Carl nodded, expression dazed.

Maggie was unsure of how to approach the boy. After all, what do you say to someone who had just lost their mother? She wasn't sure. While Carl had lost his mother, he had also seemed to have lost his father. Maybe not physically, but mentally.

Rick stayed in his cell all day, mumbling to himself and refusing to talk to anyone else. Everyone wondered when, or if, he would pull himself together.

Maggie gently led Carl outside, where Michonne was starting a fire. She had told everyone of her plans earlier today, and everyone had agreed that they could all use some s'mores. Because adults or not, they had all been through hell, and sometimes you just needed to take a break.

The fire was started, and people began to roast their marshmallows.

Rick remained inside, not that anyone was really surprised.

Maggie tried to talk to Carl for awhile, but after a few minutes with no response, she gave up. Beth began to sing quietly, and everyone seemed to relax.

As Beth sang, Maggie's eyes were drawn towards the two men across the fire from her. Daryl and... Jesus? Or some weird name like that. She watched them interact, and wondered what their relationship was. Brothers? Close friends? She wasn't sure, and she didn't feel like asking.

****

"Aren't you going to eat a s'more?" Jesus asked Daryl.

Daryl shook his head, not quite meeting Paul's eyes. Though he'd never admit it, Lori's death was weighing heavily on him.

"I don't think I'd like em." He muttered.

"Wait, you've never had a s'more before?" Jesus questioned, his eyes growing wide.

"Nah." Daryl grunted, not really in the mood to have a conversation.

He was beginning to regret ever coming to this stupid campfire in the first place.

Jesus shook his head in silent disbelief.

"We're fixing that. Right now."

******

Maggie had to hide a snort of laughter as she watched Jesus shove a S'more into Daryl's mouth, after much debate.

She froze when she heard quiet laughter next to her. She slowly pivoted and was shocked to see Carl smiling, for the first time in days. She let a small smile creep on her face as she watched Daryl glare at them, chocolate all over his face.

*****

People slowly began to meander back inside the prison after a few hours. It was getting late, and everyone had things to do in the morning.

Jesus had went to bed an hour ago, but he couldn't fall asleep. He tossed and turned for a few minutes longer before eventually giving up. He crept silently out of his cell, trying not to wake anyone else. It was quite strange for him to sleep in a prison cell, and he figured that was why he couldn't fall asleep easily.

His bare feet padded quietly against the cold, cement floor as he made his way to the room that they used for strange. He rummaged around until he found a bottle of water, then took several long gulps. Man, he missed having the luxuries of drinking refrigerated water. The room temperature bottles he often drank from tasted like melted plastic, and he had to make an effort to avoid gagging.