Chapter Seven

Paul woke up to the cot creaking next to him. He opened his eyes to see Daryl struggling to sit up.

"Woah! Take it easy!" Paul said, jumping to his feet.

He gently pushed Daryl back onto the cot, and Daryl glared.

"Carol." He rasped.

Jesus shook his head.

"She's okay. Thanks to you. Now you need to rest. And drink."

He shoved a glass of water into Daryl's hand, and helped him sit up.

Daryl continued to glare, but he took a sip anyway.

"Why are you here?" Daryl muttered.

Jesus frowned.

"Well, did you think I'd just leave you on the floor unconscious?" He asked.

Daryl shrugged, and Paul sighed.

"I wouldn't leave you. I promise. I'd never leave you."

He walked out of the cell, before Daryl could wonder exactly what he had meant to that.

*****

Jesus ran into Beth on his way to Carol's cell.

"Is she okay?" He asked, nodding his head towards her cot.

Beth gave him a tired smile.

"Yes. She's sleeping now."

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Of course." She assured him, touched that he had even bothered asked.

"And Daryl's okay?" She questioned.

She had been worried about the older man, but with Carol in such bad condition, she hadn't had the chance to check on him yet.

"Yes, he's much better, I think."

Beth smiled, and gave Jesus a hug. He jumped, surprised by the action, but he hugged back.

"What was that for?" He asked.

She shrugged.

"I don't know. I just felt like we could both use a hug right now."

This girl is too pure for this world... He thought.

He smiled a little, and decided he would visit Carol later. She probably needed to sleep, and he was sure that Hershel had other things for him to do.

He turned away from Carol's cell, waved goodbye to Beth, then went to find Hershel.

"I'll talk to you later, Beth." He called over his shoulder, not wanting to come off as rude.

He would've talked to her longer, but again, he was sure there was work to be done.

****

"I talked to Carol for a few minutes." Hershel said, turning to Jesus.

Jesus gave him a short nod, somewhat surprised that Carol he gained consciousness already. 

"She said some things that concerned me." The older man continued.

"Like what?" Jesus asked, an uneasy feeling in the pit of his stomach.

Hershel frowned and took a deep breath before speaking again.

"She managed to escape from Terminus, and found a small town called Woodbury. The man in charge there, Phillip, or more commonly referred to as the governor, told her she could stay there as long as she liked. She stayed there for a couple of days, but something seemed off. People kept disappearing, and she didn't trust Philip. He eventually told her that if she tried to leave, he would kill her. She escaped in the middle of the night, but not before she was shot. All she can remember is running into the woods before falling unconscious. She's lucky Daryl found her before a walker did."