Chapter Fifteen

WARNING: Parts of this chapter may contain content that some readers may find disturbing or offensive. I have put this part in italics, as it is also one of Daryl's flashbacks.

Daryl and Paul walked side by side down the mountain. They figured they needed to go back with at least some information about the surrounding area. If they were lucky, they'd find some supplies along the way.

Paul began to fill Daryl in on the events that had happened two days ago.

"I was walking out of the hardware store, when I felt this prick. And I looked down, and there was a tranquilizer dart sticking out of my leg! When I woke up, I was tied up in the rope I had gotten for you. This lady, Sasha, and two other guys told me to get out and never come back again. Sooo we might not want to go back that way."

A faint smile played on Daryl's lips.

"Remind me again, how you always manage to get stuck in the worst situations?"

Jesus shrugged.

"Beats me."

*****

The snow rained down gently. The two men were beginning to get used to the cold, so it wasn't so miserable anymore . Daryl managed to get through the entire day without having any weird visions. Paul noticed Daryl's improved mood, and decided to strike up a conversation while he had the chance.

"Daryl?"

"Hm?"

"What's your worst fear?"

There was silence.

"I, uh, I'm not sure." Daryl muttered.

"I can tell you're lying. You always look at the ground when you lie, you know." Paul stated.

Daryl let out a deep breath.

"I don't really want to talk about it." He responded.

"Aw, come on. I'll tell you mine..." Paul bribed.

"What would the great Paul Rovia be scared of?" Daryl asked sarcastically.

Paul smirked and said nothing.

"Being alone." Daryl finally whispered.

Paul stopped walking and looked at him.

"You, but... you like being alone."

"Not like that." Daryl explained. "I just mean... what if everyone dies, and I have to stay on this walker infested earth, alone, until I die?"

Paul reached out and placed a hand on Daryl's shoulder. He couldn't believe Daryl was being so open with him. It was certainly unusual.

"I'm not going to let that happen, Daryl. Even if it's just you and me, I won't let you be alone. Even if you do hate me.." Paul said quietly.

"I don't hate you, you know." Daryl said, avoiding eye contact.

"I didn't think that you wanted me around. You never indicated that you did."

Daryl took a step back, growing uncomfortable under Paul's gaze.

"I don't know what I want anymore, Paul."

The two men continued walking, and after a few minutes of silence, Daryl said,

"Your turn."

"What?" Paul asked, confused.

"Tell me your worst fear."

"Oh, that's easy. Spiders." Paul said, laughing a little.

Daryl looked at him in disbelief.

"The great Paul Rovia is afraid of spiders? The same man who broke us out of Negans base with a bobby pin? The same man who faced Terminus, the governor, and hundreds of walkers?? "