Chapter Eleven

It was odd, just sitting there, having nothing to do. They had enough supplies, so they didn't need to go on a run. It was winter, so they couldn't try to grow plants.

For the first time in forever, Jesus slept in. He woke up to snow gently falling outside his window, and an empty room. He cringed as he stood up. Sleeping on the ground really was awful.

He rubbed the sleep from his eyes, and went to find something to do.
Carol and Beth sat at a table, eating cereal.

"Good morning!" Beth said cheerily, as Jesus sat next to her.

"Good morning." He replied, less enthusiastic.

Carol eyed him carefully.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"Hm? Oh, fine, fine." He replied distractedly, looking around the room.

Carol sighed and pushed a bowl of cereal in front of him.

He picked at it, not feeling very hungry.

Daryl entered the room, blood spattered, crossbow slung over his shoulder, hair wet from snow.

He sat next to Carol and grumbled,

"I hate the snow."

Carol smiled sympathetically.

"I'm guessing that hunting didn't go well then?"

He didn't answer, just shrugged.

Jesus frowned as he examined Daryl. He looked exhausted. Dark circles hung under his bloodshot eyes. He looked dazed, and sat slouched over, leaning against the table for support.

"Daryl?" He said, hesitantly.

Daryl looked up at him, glaring.

"Are you okay?" Jesus asked quietly.

"M'fine." He spat.

Daryl had dreams all last night. He had slept poorly, waking up every half hour. It didn't help that all his dreams were about Paul fucking Rovia. Now Paul was now looking at him, blue eye wide and concerned. Daryl couldn't stop thinking about the dreams. Why were they happening? He would never do the things he had done in his dreams with Paul.

Jesus turned away reluctantly and looked at Beth.

"You know... I like the snow. Do you want to go on a walk or something?" He asked her quietly.

Her face lit up, and Daryl turned away. He abruptly stood up, and left the table.

Jesus looked up, concerned. Carol patted his arm.

"I'll go talk to him." She said. "Go on your walk."

Beth smiled, dragging Jesus away from the table as he stared after Daryl.

****

Daryl walked to his room, slamming the door shut behind him.

He didn't know why he was so angry.

There was a quiet knock at the door. He was prepared to tell Jesus to go away, but then he heard Carol say,

"It's me."

He softened a little.

He got up and opened the door.

"Can I come in?" She asked.

Daryl gave a slight nod, and sat down next to the window. He could see Jesus and Beth throwing snowballs at each other, and he scowled.

Carol put a hand on his bicep.