Chapter Seventeen

Rick found them like that an hour later. Both of them sitting on the floor, Daryl stroking Paul's back. Rick couldn't see Paul's face, as he had his hands covering it.

He stared at them for a second, confused and wondering what had happened.

Daryl looked up at Rick briefly, and shook his head. He put a finger to his lips, indicating that Rick should be quiet. Rick nodded, and awkwardly walked away.

"Paul?" Daryl asked gently.

Paul looked up, miserable. The look he gave Daryl made his heart stop. He looked so utterly broken. His eyes were no longer glowing, they were dull.

Reaching out slowly, Daryl wiped a drop of blood off of Paul's lip with his thumb. Paul shuddered.

"I think we should go back to our room. To talk." Daryl suggested quietly.

Paul nodded, and stood up shakily.

It was still early, and thankfully they didn't run into anyone on their way to their room.

Paul sat down on his bed, and Daryl sat next to him. Paul stared at his hands, and they sat in silence for a long time.

"I know something happened out there." Daryl finally said.

Paul slowly lifted his eyes to Daryl's face, saying nothing.

"I can't force you to tell me." He began with a sigh. "But I'm asking, please tell me."

Paul bit his lip, thinking.

"I'll tell you what happened. But only if you tell me what's been bothering you." He said.

Daryl paled a little.

"I don't-" he began.

An intense headache hit him. He swayed a little, hand clutching his head.

"Daryl?" Paul asked, eyes wide with concern.

Daryl couldn't answer. The pain seemed to swirl around his mind, and a vision flashed through his thoughts.

A song was playing, over and over. Daryl was naked on a concrete ground, shaking and throwing up.

"Stop" he begged.

There was no one there to hear him. Cuts and dirt covered his entire body. He felt pain like he'd never felt before. He let out a strangled sob.

Negan kicked the door open, pointing a baseball bat at him.

"I'll ask you one more time. " he whispered. "Who are you?"

Daryl glared up at him defiantly. He spit out blood.

"Daryl." He rasped.

Negan slammed the baseball bat next to him. The song continued to play.

"We're on easy street, and it feels so sweet, cos the world is a treat when you're on easy street...."

Daryl gasped as the room around him lurched.

Paul grabbed his arm and held him upright.

"Daryl?" He asked, panicked.

"M' okay..." Daryl rasped, trying not to throw up.

Jesus stared at him in horror.

"How did you know that song?" He whispered.

"What?" Daryl asked.

"You were humming a song. How do you know that song?" Jesus's face had gone completely pale.

His reaction scared Daryl.