Chapter Twenty Three

Daryl lay on his hospital bed, glaring at the IV in his arm.

"Glaring at it won't help, Daryl." Denise stated calmly.

"When can I leave?" Daryl asked, ignoring her statement.

She frowned.

"Not for a few days, at least. After that, you'll have to take it easy. You aren't thinking about going after Jesus, are you?"

Daryl scowled.

"No. He can die out there for all I care."

"Right. That's why you were calling for him in your sleep then?" She asked, rolling her eyes.

Daryl looked away, still scowling.

"I'll be back to check on you in an hour. I have to go talk to Rick." Denise said, leaving the room.

Daryl sat in silence for a moment, watching the fluids drip from his IV.

He couldn't take it. He couldn't just sit here doing nothing.

Cautiously, he moved his injured leg. The pain was dull now, he should be fine.

Daryl pulled the IV out of his arm, cringing slightly as blood dripped from it.

He slowly swung his legs over the side of the bed, clenching his jaw. The pain wasn't that bad. He could do this.

Daryl stood up, balancing all the weight on his uninjured leg. He smirked. He'd show Denise. A few days? Ha. Look at him, he was doing fine.

Feeling confident, he shifted half his weight onto his injured leg. He hissed in pain as his leg gave out, and he fell face first into the floor.

Shit.

Okay. That was fine. He could just crawl out of here, and back to his house.

He slowly began to drag himself towards the door, feeling a mixture of embarrassment and annoyance. He was not going to spend another day in the hospital.

The front door opened, and Daryl froze.

"Please don't come in here..." Daryl silently begged.

Footsteps crept towards him.... then there was silence.

"Daryl? What the hell are you doing?"

Daryl let out a groan, looking up to meet Ricks gaze.

"I thought you were meeting with Denise." Daryl spat.

Rick shook his head.

"Honestly, Daryl. We leave you alone for 5 minutes..."

He knelt down next to Daryl.

"Come on. I'll help you get back into bed."

"I ain't stayin here any longer." Daryl growled.

Rick took a deep breath, closing his eyes.

"Daryl. You need to promise me you won't try to leave again."

Daryl glared at him in response.

"Fine. You're making me do something I don't want to do, Daryl."

"What-" Daryl started, but Rick had scooped him off the ground, and was carrying him back to bed.

"Hey!" He protested.

Rick ignored him, plopping him on the bed and walking away.

Daryl rolled his eyes. Whatever. He'd just wait for Rick to leave before he tried to leave again.